lud

lud

Hi,

I need to launch certain apps on work days, I need to run some checks via HTTP APIs and then maybe launch some other apps, etc.

I am not very good with bash, and some complex scenarios will be much simpler to handle with Elixir (call HTTP, parse response, parse a config file, etc).

But is it possible to start an app from an Elixir script (think Slack, Thunderbird, …) and then shutdown the BEAM while the app is still running?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

hauleth

hauleth

It could be, but why not wrap the two together instead?

#!/bin/sh

elixir -S "script.exs" && exec open "http://example.com"

Now all you need to ensure, is that script.exs will exit with non-0 code on error.

However with a little of *NIX magic you could fork the process into the background and leave it running when the parent dies, however I think, than in your case, there are some tools that would handle all of that for you, if you would be so keen to extend about what you need exactly.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I vote for the normal release and eval/rpc afterward mix release — Mix v1.20.2

lud

lud OP

I need to do some things like:

  • if Slack was not open by the script today already, and if we are in Monday..Friday, then open Slack.
  • If some Gitlab project API returns a non-empty list of issues, then open a tab in Firefox to a certain URL calculated from the issues list.

I know it could be done with unix commands but yeah, I would like to learn how to fork and “unlink” from the parent.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews