Lead Developer - Catalyx (Remote)

About Catalyx

Catalyx is one of Canada’s most reliable, fast, and secure digital assets trading platform specializing in crypto trading, blockchain solution, and cybersecurity technology. Our company was founded in 2018 by top talents in the tech and finance industry to develop features that make it one of the best and easiest Canadian platforms to trade on, leading the way to a limitless financial system. Catalyx has the highest standards in security and compliance and is partnered with world-trusted names in Blockchain technologies, risk management, and financial solutions. Catalyx gives access to 90+ assets and markets so people can focus on creating wealth while their funds and transactions are secure and protected.

My name: Suzie Sohn

My position: HR Representative

Company name: Catalyx

Company Website: catalyx.io

Company headquarters: CANADA

Open to International Applicants as well!

About the Job:

As part of this position, your responsibilities will include overseeing projects and overseeing the development team in collaboration with our technical project manager and the CTO.

Roles and Responsibilities:

• Technical Leadership: Taking charge of development projects, and ensuring the successful execution of goals within the specified timeframe.
  • Technical Guidance: Providing guidance and mentorship to the development team, offering expertise and support in solving technical challenges and making critical decisions.
  • Team Management: Overseeing the development team, including assigning tasks, monitoring progress, and fostering a collaborative and productive work environment.
  • Architecture and Design: Collaborating with stakeholders to define project requirements, designing software architectures, and ensuring adherence to best practices and coding standards.
  • Code Review and Quality Assurance: Conducting code reviews to ensure code quality, identifying areas for improvement, and enforcing coding standards and best practices.
  • Collaboration: Working closely with other teams such as project managers, designers, and quality assurance to ensure seamless coordination and efficient delivery of projects.
  • Technical Expertise: Staying up-to-date with the latest technologies, trends, and industry standards, and utilizing this knowledge to make informed decisions and drive innovation within the development team.
  • Problem Solving: Resolving complex technical issues and providing creative solutions to overcome challenges that may arise during the development process.
  • Documentation: Documenting technical specifications and development processes to facilitate effective communication and knowledge sharing within the team.
  • Continuous Improvement: Identifying opportunities for process improvements with project managers and team to implement efficient workflows, and actively participating in the continuous improvement of development practices and methodologies.

Qualifications

• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field.
  • Minimum 5 years of experience in being a lead developer
  • A solid understanding of Elixir, React

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:

Knowledge:

• Proven proficiency in our technology stack, Elixir, React, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB, RabbitMQ.
  • Knowledge of distributed systems and multi-node applications.
  • Knowledge of software development methodologies, such as Agile and Scrum, and the ability to apply them effectively.
  • Understanding of software architecture principles, including design patterns, architectural styles, and scalability considerations.
  • Proven proficiency in database management systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, and time series DBs or extensions like TimescaleDB.
  • Knowledge of web technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript frameworks (e.g., React) for front-end development.
  • Understanding of back-end technologies, such as server-side frameworks (e.g., Phoenix) and RESTful APIs.
  • Proficiency in using version control systems like Git for code management and collaboration.
  • Preferably a knowledge of trading systems and finance.

Skills:

• Strong leadership skills to guide and mentor a development team, manage priorities, and coordinate project activities effectively.
  • Excellent problem-solving abilities to analyze complex technical challenges, propose innovative solutions, and troubleshoot issues.
  • Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with team members, stakeholders, and clients, and to document technical specifications and requirements.
  • Ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment, actively listening, sharing knowledge, and resolving conflicts.
  • Skill in project planning, resource allocation, and timeline management to ensure successful project delivery.
  • Understanding of software testing principles and the ability to implement and guide the testing process to ensure software quality and reliability.
  • Commitment to continuous learning and staying updated with the latest industry trends, technologies, and best practices.

Abilities:

• Ability to analyze and interpret complex technical requirements, identify dependencies, and make informed decisions.
  • Flexibility to adapt to changing project requirements, technologies, and priorities.
  • Strong attention to detail to ensure code quality, adherence to coding standards, and thoroughness in testing.
  • Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
  • Capability to mentor and coach team members, fostering their professional growth and development.
  • Ability to identify potential risks and proactively take measures to mitigate them.
  • Depending on the project, possessing domain-specific knowledge related to the industry or application can be beneficial

About the interview process
An initial screening interview will be held, and if applicants pass we will proceed with the second interview with our Senior engineer and project manager.

Further info
If interested in this position please email suzie@catalyx.io

1 Like

We’re now accepting international applicants!

1 Like

what is the difference between this post and the last one?

I believe the difference is that they’re now accepting people outside Canada, as said in their comment #2 here.

Dimitarvp is correct. We are now open to international applicants. :slightly_smiling_face:

i applied in the last post, i need apply again?

Hi Nicol! I have your resume, so no need too. Your all good!

Out of curiosity, what’s the technical interview like? Take home or Async?

It would be a take home where we give you one week to complete, and a systems design question which is done during the interview.

1 Like

Is a take home the only option?
Have you considered alternatives such as just being able to review someone git repositories?

It feels really unfortunate to have to be vetted and also hope to aline with a company because of what can feel like an esoteric quiz when the company could have satisfied their inquires just by reviewing the applicants already created code.

I personally will just reject applying for positions that ask for a take home because I already have written enough code for some to read if they wish to see the best and worst of my abilities.

I would bet I’m not alone in this feeling.

None of this was to be critical of the opportunity you are providing for the community.
I just wish the hiring process was less redundant and wasteful of the applicants time.

There is already a huge risk in investing your time just applying and interviewing let alone a week long task that is on me to do in a vacuum only to not get a job in the end.

Thats just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that the task would be for a few hours of coding but you have one week to send them the solution. :slight_smile: Or at least I hope. :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

The, “lets give them enough rope to hang theirselves and see if they only spend 1 or 2 hours on a thing that we don’t want back for a week but will also be a critical part of the over all choice” is a cruel thing to do to applicant in my own opinion. It also does nothing to address the redundancy of the act in the first place. Again what about all the code I’ve already wrote that is already public and accessible?
Why is that not sufficient enough?

How about you got a whole week to read my repos and get back to me?

Sorry this is too big for here, and I don’t want hijack this post. I do think its worth asking though.

1 Like

I mostly agree with your opinions. I just wanted to clarify, that being given a take home coding challenge that takes 1 week of work would be unrealistic.

We’re just giving enough time for those applicants going on vacation. For experienced applicants doing this challenge it should be a breeze.

Please let’s not hijack jobs offer.

You can open a chat/discussion for … discussion :slight_smile:

Sorry I was just simply asking if there was a alternative. Though I have not got a reply.
No more on that needs to be stated.

2 Likes

Couple of questions:

1. Is Catalyx open to hire freelance developers?
  2. Are there any timezone overlap requirements? I am based in Europe myself.