Tahseen

Tahseen

Hi all,

I have just completed my first Elixir book and would now like to learn Phoenix and LiveView now.

What would be the best way forward to have a gentle learning curve and develop strong fundamentals - learn Phoenix without LiveView or with LiveView?

What resources to you suggest for this?

Looking forward to your advice.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ChrisJohnston-rbc

ChrisJohnston-rbc

I would suggest learning Phoenix with LiveView. One resource that I really liked is The Pragmatic Studio Elixir/Phoenix course. It’s a really good introduction to phoenix at not a bad price point (if you are in the US). Otherwise, there are ton of videos on YouTube.

abreujp

abreujp

Recommended Course for Phoenix/LiveView

I wanted to share a resource that might be helpful for those learning Phoenix and LiveView. The courses at Arrowsmith Labs have been valuable in my learning journey.

They cover Phoenix and LiveView concepts in a straightforward manner, and I found the content useful for my development work.

Tahseen

Tahseen OP

Thank you and thank you Chris,

I was just thinking wouldn’t first learning Phoenix without LiveView and then learning LiveView be easy for a beginner like me. Also, I thought it will make me understand both better and also understand the changes introduced by the LiveView better. What do you think?

These courses and the Pragmatic book does not seem to be structured that way. Even if you are unable to provide any reference, let me know if what I think is worthwhile, as in that case, I will try to slog through the Hexdocs guides though I would’ve really preferred a running application type of example.

D4no0

D4no0

At the point phoenix is now, there is simply no difference if you go with plain phoenix views or liveview, it’s all tightly coupled into the framework at this point in time. I would also recommend to stick to updated material as there were a lot of changes in phoenix the last few years.

The only advice I can give is to skip entirely other stuff that comes bundled with phoenix, such as ecto, if you are not familiar with it. Ecto in special will give you a hard time as it has a much steeper learning curve than phoenix.

karlosmid

karlosmid

Hi, I also suggest learning phoenix live view. Here is excellent book on this topic:

It also explains ecto, and it covers most of the phoenix topics.
Important is not to skip the exercise parts in full detail. I did that mistake in first run, and in my second run I am doing all exercises in details.

After that, to grasp OTP concepts, you should do:

Happy learning!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews