KekKekington
The Elixir job market is fairly competitive and non-senior roles are hard to come by. I’ve been thinking about learning Ruby and RoR since many companies that work with Ruby may eventually switch to Elixir. Problem is that I’d have to force myself to learn it, since I don’t think there’s any real advantage technically to learn Ruby when I’m already familiar with Elixir. Anyone had a similar experience?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
foggy
I can’t speak to doing this exact route, but I just happened to switch my workplace from Ruby to Elixir because my background was Ruby and our needs heavily skewed in a direction where Elixir’s benefits became painfully obvious.
That said, I still consider that experience rather unique (in terms of my role and our needs and my knowledge level), and it doesn’t strike me as being prudent to learn a language you don’t personally see a use for with the explicit intent of maybe ending up at a company that maybe will switch to Elixir. This is just a way to further cloud an already murky job search process. If you want to learn Ruby to expand how hireable you are based purely on what languages you “know”, then that’s a separate question.
KekKekington
I guess you’re right and I’m looking at it the wrong way. I’ve seen a couple of Ruby jobs that I could’ve applied to and I guess that was mainly what I had on my head: How can I get a Ruby job but still work with Elixir? Which is obviously not the best way of looking at things…
hassan
My impression is that there are lots of companies (including where I work now) with both – legacy-but-still-maintained Rails apps alongside newer Elixir projects. Some Ruby/Rails knowledge would certainly make you a more appealing candidate, so maybe that’s a “real advantage” financially
And even a “pure” Rails shop may offer opportunities to write utilities in the language of your choice (stealth Elixir introduction!).
FWIW, and good luck!
al2o3cr
There’s a lot of common knowledge between Phoenix and pretty much any similar framework in other languages; in my experience 80% of the job is figuring out what the user / customer wants independent of the technology, and most of the other 20% is technology-agnostic (like database design).
Build things, and learn from that - the language and toolchain are secondary, especially early on.