Learning Supervisor basics

I made the next video in the OTP series to help get started with Supervisor methods and syntax. The video goes over the init methods like worker and supervise and explains supervision strategies and restart options.

22 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to do these! Great stuff

These videos are very well done. I’ve been tweeting references to them as they come out.

1 Like

Glad you find it useful, thank you!

2 Likes

Good work on these. I like the style of the videos as it walks through exactly what I would do if I were experimenting with these to better understand them myself.

1 Like

Thats awesome! Thank you

Just watched your videos and they’re great! Please keep making them :+1:

For me, the hardest part about OTP is not the syntax (how to use it), but understanding why and more importantly when to use it. So I really liked the package delivery example, as it helped me understand how everything works. Maybe you could go back to that example in a future video and show how it would be done correctly? Or maybe also show some other use cases for GenServers or even what a full supervision structure could look like?

Thanks again :blush:

That’s great to hear. Thank you!

My plan is cover process registration in a similar format first. After that I want to go over creating an entire elixir application with a supervision tree a few layers deep. Sticking with package delivery is not a bad idea!

1 Like

For those of us who tuned in late, can you please link to the older ones that “next” implies already exist? Thanks!

This is the entire play list so far: Elixir OTP

It’s three videos covering GenServer basics, callbacks syntax and this supervisor video.

2 Likes

Thanks! Good stuff there. Quibble: the audio level is a bit inconsistent…

For me, the hardest part about OTP is not the syntax (how to use it), but understanding why and more importantly when to use it.

When you feel ready to really go down the rabbit hole, Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP thoroughly explains the how and why of OTP behaviours, how Erlang messaging / distribution works, and plenty of other things that are useful when building “distributed, fault-tolerant, scalable, soft real-time, and highly available” systems.

It’s an awesome book, but does require that you learn to read some Erlang if you want to follow along with the examples.

1 Like

@jwarlander - Wish someone translates this to Elixir for many folks getting started :wink: