Learnphoenix.io

Build scalable production apps with Phoenix and React

17 Likes

Great Find :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a awesome course! very detailed and Sam has done done a great job keeping it up to date with the ever-changing JS ecosystem.

2 Likes

I actually noticed it from the blog post @Morganjackson posted a little earlier :lol:

2 Likes

Is this from the same that that made LearnElixir.tv?

Is there a discount if youā€™ve purchased LearnElixir.tv?

2 Likes

@sergio no this is a different course.

https://learnelixir.tv is great but its more of an intro to elixir and doesnā€™t really go into phoenix.

If you like learnelixir.tv there is now https://www.learnphoenix.tv/ by the same author but it covers each part of phoenix individually rather then building a whole app from scratch and doesnt cover react/redux etc.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, Iā€™m the author of LearnPhoenix.io. Iā€™m adding new content every few days and Iā€™m curious to find out what topics people are interested in learning about.

Iā€™ve got channels and Presence pretty well covered. What are some other topics of interest?

6 Likes

Hi Sam, personally I am not interested in React so would love to see you expand this / make another version featuring Elm :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You know, I came very close to making the whole tutorial series using Elm but after some discussion with other frontend developers, I decided against it.

The primary reason is that Elm is not fully developed and Elm Native is not a (stable) thing yet. Obviously, Elm has a lot of potential and might be the best option in a year or two; but for now, I think React is still the most flexible, best documented, and most hirable option.

Iā€™m intending to keep this site as up to date as possible, so if at some point I become convinced that Elm is the best option, Iā€™ll switch everything over.

That said, I know that Josh Adams is working on something similar that uses Elm for the frontend. Not sure of his release date, but I spoke with him about it at Phoenix Camp in New York a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

Elm does still need a LOT of work. I have over 40 ports in my application so far to do things that are not possible in Elm yet, bit excessive. The Elm parts do work very nice though.

3 Likes

Seems like the $29/month is too much for what the contents are currentlyā€¦

4 Likes

I suppose thatā€™s a matter of perspective.

As of August 11, the site has 36 comprehensive lessons, which leaves you with an almost-complete Intercom cloneā€”the final lessons that bring it to production-ready should be finished by the end of August. The lessons also cover more advanced topics than the typical tutorial site.

Weā€™re (hopefully) going to go over topics like sharding, replication, service discovery, and other topics at some point, which I havenā€™t seen anywhere else. Weā€™re going to try to cover as much ground as possible.

1 Like

For me itā€™s definitely too much. Buying books is way much cheaper. Elixir and Phoenix are not promoted yet enough and you already want to earn money from others intead of trying to get to the bigger number of people. Even Microsoft at the beginning gave their OS for freeā€¦

1 Like

Fair enough, though Iā€™m not sure your premise that books are way cheaper is accurate: Programming Phoenix is $47, or $23 if you just get the digital version.

Iā€™m curious how you came to the conclusion that being marginally compensated for the hundreds of hours I put into LearnPhoenix.io is somehow in opposition to promoting Elixir and Phoenixā€¦ Iā€™m writing articles on Medium on a regular basis and doing my best to promote the frameworkā€”as well as my tutorial site. I think the two go hand-in-hand.

2 Likes

No offense, but I am enrolled in upcase.com, elixirsips.com, learnelixir.tv, learnphoenix.tv, and I also have metaprogramming elixir, programming elixir, programming phoenix, OTP in action. Elixirsips for example, up to now, has 260 videos (with very advanced topics) with typical video duration of 5-10 minutes, and it is only $9/month. Other resources are even cheaper.

So my perspective is by comparing it with those resources. learnphoenix.io looks more like a blogspot to me or looks like a one page tutorial like elixirschool.com. As far as Iā€™ve seen in the first 12 lessons, there is no advanced topics there. Looking at the title of the PRO lessons, seems like it isnā€™t advanced enough to justify the $29/month price.

My opinion, just open those for free right now.

3 Likes

/me is wondering if he is the only one that never gets a book or tutorials or so online, instead learning by reading the code of the compiler, tests, etcā€¦

Books areā€¦ inefficient for me, too slow they feel like. Videos either are missing vital steps (ā€œsure you can type that there and it does that, but ā€˜whyā€™ does it do that and what is the overall thing it can doā€, /me goes to check the source code), or take so long that while I am reading the source at the same time Iā€™ve already learned everything the video has done in a fraction of the time.

I teach how I think, and so far Iā€™ve been told that I am one of the most complete and understandable teachers they have had, so I think Iā€™m doing something right? :slight_smile:

I do tend to be a lot more responsive, always glad to help, so that probably contributes.

2 Likes

@christiansakai No offense taken. Thatā€™s useful information.

I will certainly think about lowering the price and unlocking more of the early lessons. Could be a useful A/B test to see if conversions increase by >3x if I lower the price to $9/mo.

But just for the sake of argument, Programming Phoenix (which I also own) doesnā€™t cover many advanced topics either. Is it fair to charge for that book?

2 Likes

So here is my point of view as a customer.

There are a lot of Elixir learning resources out there, let me just list here what I enrolled/purchased (I actually purchased more than these, but these 6 are my favorites and I keep referring back to these):

1. learnelixir.tv
    • $18 (one time purchase)
    • covers foundational Elixir with exercises
  2. learnphoenix.tv
    • $25 (one time purchase with 44% discount if you purchased learnelixir.tv previously)
    • covers foundational Phoenix with exercises and examples (future videos)
  3. elixirsips.com
    • $9/month (subscription based)
    • covers many range of topic, from basic Elixir to advanced usage of Elixir (e.g., interop with other languages, building a VM, design patterns, advanced debugging techniques, useful Elixir libraries, etc) and also cover Phoenix
  4. Programming Elixir
    • $35 (one time purchase)
    • covers basic Elixir
  5. Metaprogramming Elixir
    • $14 (one time purchase)
    • covers advanced topics of Elixir such as macros
  6. Programming Phoenix
    • $30 (one time purchase)
    • covers basic Phoenix

And comparing it with learnphoenix.io:

• $29/month (subscription based)
  • covers Phoenix and other web-related (testing, React, npm, enzyme, etc).

I have two points to consider:

• Taken at face value, by shallow comparisons above alone, topic/dollar wise, I think learnphoenix.io is overpriced
  • Taken at the depth of the content provided, I canā€™t help but to think that learnphoenix.io looks more suitable for a blogpost rather than a tutorial. It looks like it is mix and matching a bunch of technologies, and for every technology, it was copied straight from the ā€œQuickstartā€ section of the docs. Iā€™m just comparing it with the first 12 lessons that are open. Looking at the rest of the topics, I donā€™t see it in any way that any of topics are advanced (Reusable Button Component, Connecting Redux, Basic Redux, Connecting React Channels, Validating Forms, Basic of Analytics, to name just a few, etc). Again, I feel that it looks like a blogpost (or a Quickstart docs). On the contrary, Programming Phoenix, though basics, but filled with detail sections of how Phoenix, Ecto, Plug, and Channel works. I repeat, detail informations.

Now rerun these comparisons again above, leaving out Elixir resources and just compare Phoenix resources. It still holds true.

If you do want to charge $29/month, I would expect more advanced topics than what you have currently now. If it will come in the future, then for now just open those lessons for free (since I think that is the worth of the content currently now anyway, this is just a customer perspective). In the future once you have more advanced contents ready, then you can expect people pay for it.

Just my opinion.

6 Likes

Thank you for your opinion. I think mine differs :wink:

I would just like to add something else here:

Oā€™Reilly offers Safari Books Online for USD 39.99 / month.

Right now, Iā€™m going through both

ā€¢ Introducing Elixir (USD 24.99 - Paperback)

and

ā€¢ Ɖtudes for Elixir (Free Online Version)

Eitherway, in that pricing it is already included books like:

ā€¢ Programming Elixir 1.2 (USD 35.15)

ā€¢ Programming Phoenix: Productive |> Reliable |> Fast (USD 30.82)

ā€¢ Metaprogramming Elixir (USD 14.88)

And many othersā€¦

I guess I see both sides of this ā€œcoinā€: apparently the work that youā€™ve done is really good, possibly unparalleled. Thus, youā€™re entitled to charging that amount.

One other thing that I would like you to consider though is that youā€™re very likely to attract international subscribers. In Brazil, because of exchange rates, that price is more than three times as much.

(If you take into consideration the real purchasing power of our currency, it is actually 5 or 6x as much).

That being said (or more appropriately ā€œthat being sadā€): as soon as I finish those 2 basics books + Programming Elixir 1.2, I will definitely subscribe to your course. I think it is worth it.

2 Likes