LetMe - authorization DSL

I just released LetMe 1.0, marking the first stable release.

LetMe (hex)
LetMe (Github)

LetMe is an authorization DSL with introspection capabilities.

Why?

There are plenty of authorization libraries, but when an application grows and with it the number of authorization rules, it becomes harder to see at a glance what is allowed under which circumstances. I wanted a solution that a) provides me an easily readable format to define authorization rules, and b) allows me to list and filter those rules, so that I can dynamically generate documentation pages and help texts for permission forms.

Example

A simple policy module would look like this:

defmodule MyApp.Policy do
  use LetMe.Policy

object :article do
    action :create do
      desc "allows a user to create a new article"
      allow role: :editor
      allow role: :writer
    end

action :read do
      desc "allows a user to read an article and to see a list of articles"
      allow true
      deny :banned
    end

action :update do
      allow [:own_resource, role: :writer]
    end

action :delete do
    end
  end
end

The allow and deny conditions only reference check functions which you have to define on your own. This means the DSL is much simpler than a full-fledged policy language. In the end it’s just a means of combining custom checks.

defmodule MyApp.Policy.Checks do
  alias MyApp.Accounts.User

@doc """
  Returns `true` if the `banned` flag is set on the user.
  """
  def banned(%User{banned: banned}, _, _), do: banned

@doc """
  Checks whether the user ID of the object matches the ID of the current user.

Assumes that the object has a `:user_id` field.
  """
  def own_resource(%User{id: id}, %{user_id: id}, _opts) when is_binary(id), do: true
  def own_resource(_, _, _), do: false

@doc """
  Checks whether the user role matches the role passed as an option.

## Usage

or

allow {:role, :editor}
  """
  def role(%User{role: role}, _object, role), do: true
  def role(_, _, _), do: false
end

LetMe compiles the defined rules into authorization and introspection functions.

iex> MyApp.Policy.authorize?(:article_read, current_user)
true

iex> MyApp.Policy.get_rule(:article_create)
%LetMe.Rule{
  action: :create,
  allow: [
    [role: :admin],
    [role: :writer]
  ],
  name: :article_create,
  object: :article,
  # ...
}

You can also get a list of rules and apply filters on them. There are some more features including a Schema behaviour for query scoping and field redactions.

24 Likes

Awesome Library. Looks succinct. I loved the introspection aspect and redaction of information!

I was curious about how the library will handle Role explosion and some of the scenarios mentioned below?

Say a customer comes to bar, instead of having a role depicting that they can consume alcohol, they claim that they can_drink.

We can take the claim and restrict it with policy saying, age must be drinking age, based on attribute country.

And maybe add a scope, saying that the customer can only access the drinks available on counter.

Later, bouncer might grant or revoke access on the fly!

Maybe the customer gets recognised as a VIP, so now he should have access to drinks from cellar! Perhaps they fancy a private lounge. (Instead of creating another role for people who can enter the lounge or drink special wine, they can be assigned claims like: can_enter_private_lounge)

I have a verbose way achieving the above scenarios:

P.S. I am excited about this. I won’t have to write much code. I am just trying to piece together how I can make use of the library. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The examples only use RBAC for illustration, but LetMe does not make any assumption about the kind of checks you run. If you need to make a decision based on one or multiple claims, you can just write checks for those claims. It also does not make any assumptions about the format of the subject or the object, which means you can also pass a tuple or a map with claims or anything else as a subject, and an object or multiple objects or more data relating to the object in any format you need, as long as your check functions understand them. You can also register pre-hooks to run before running the checks, e.g. to load more data necessary in multiple checks (LetMe.Policy — LetMe v1.0.1).

So in your example, assuming that there are multiple bars, the user can have different customer statuses in each bar, and you already loaded the location, drink, and customer status for the specific bar before running the permission checks, you could end up with a policy module like this:

defmodule MyApp.Policy do
    use LetMe.Policy

object :drink do
      action :consume do
        allow storage: :counter
        allow customer_status: :vip, storage: :cellar

# deny access to alcoholic drinks if user is below drinking age, no matter what
        deny [:drink_is_alcoholic, :below_drinking_age]

# deny access to any banned user
        deny customer_status: :banned
      end
    end
  end

With these check functions:

defmodule MyApp.Policy.Checks do
    def customer_status(%User{}, %{customer_statuses: statuses}, status) do
      Enum.find_value(statuses, false, &(&1.type == status))
    end

def storage(_, %{drink: %Drink{storage: storage}}, storage), do: true
    def storage(_, %{drink: %Drink{}}, _), do: false

def drink_is_alcoholic(_, %{drink: %Drink{alcoholic: alcoholic}}),
      do: alcoholic

def below_drinking_age(%User{} = user, %{location: %Location{} = location}) do
      age = SomeModule.get_age(user.birthdate)
      legal_drinking_age = SomeModule.get_legal_drinking_age(location.country)
      age < legal_drinking_age
    end
  end

With this, you pass all the necessary information to the authorize function:

user = %User{id: 10, birthdate: ~D[2002-02-05]}

object = %{
    # storage can be :counter, :cellar, :private_lounge
    drink: %Drink{alcoholic: true, storage: :counter},
    customer_statuses: [
      # type can be :vip, :banned, :private_lounge_access
      %CustomerStatus{user_id: 10, location_id: 20, type: :vip}
    ]
  }

Policy.authorize?(:drink_consume, user, object)

Alternatively, you could only pass the drink and the location, and preload the customer statuses with a pre-hook. Or maybe the location is preloaded in the drink struct. Whatever it is, LetMe doesn’t care about these details. It’s up to you!

In general, I would opt for parameterized rules if possible, as opposed to very specific rules (e.g. allow customer_status: :vip instead of allow :is_vip). Personally, I wouldn’t go too far with abstractions in favor of readability, but if you wanted, you could define more general check functions, e.g. one that checks for equality of a value in any nested map: allow match: {[:path, :to, :value], :value_to_check}.

This doesn’t cover every single rule you listed, but should be enough to illustrate how you can compose complex rule sets.

2 Likes

This looks great! I really like the idea of separating the rules from the implementation. Couple of notes:

• I’d prefer for the policy to be linked explicitly to the checks, something like use LetMe.Policy, checks: SomeModule (unless this is already the case?),
  • I found this example a bit confusing:

I think it would read better as deny :banned?. Still, first it’s allow everything but then there are some “conflicting” rules. Would be great if it was obvious from the code (not the docs) how the rules are combined and what’s the behavior when no rules are specified (is it sum or intersection, allow by default or deny by default?). Maybe rename action macro to something else?

I’d prefer for the policy to be linked explicitly to the checks, something like use LetMe.Policy, checks: SomeModule (unless this is already the case?),

You can set a different check module: Check module

Would be great if it was obvious from the code (not the docs) how the rules are combined and what’s the behavior when no rules are specified (is it sum or intersection, allow by default or deny by default?).

An action is allowed if any allow rule evaluates to true and no deny rule evaluates to true. I think that’s a fairly standard way of dealing with access control rules. To make this completely explicit, you’d have to string together all rules and checks with boolean operators. But I’m pretty happy with the API as it is :grinning:

Maybe rename action macro to something else?

It could have been operation, but I guess that ship has sailed.

1 Like

Just released patch version 1.0.2. Nothing exciting, only documentation updates. ex_doc’s cheat sheet feature is nice, though: Rules and Checks — LetMe v1.0.2

LetMe 1.1.0 was released, which adds a metadata macro and a metadata field to the LetMe.Rule struct, which allows you to extend the functionality of the library. Thanks to Stephen for the contribution.

3 Likes

[1.2.0] - 2023-06-19

Added

• Added an optional opts argument to the authorize functions, so that
    additional options can be passed to pre-hooks.
  • Updated LetMe.filter_rules/2 to allow filtering by meta data.

Changed

• Pre-hook options are now expected to be passed as a keyword list.
1 Like