Max

Max

Hi,

i´m looking for a way to get the content of a pdf in a text format.

Any ideas?

thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 5

AstonJ

AstonJ

Have you looked at:

More PDF libraries here.

outlog

outlog

It very much depends on what kind of pdfs you are trying to read, I use something like this to scrape pdf bank statements:

{pdf_as_text,_} = System.cmd("pdftotext", ~w[-raw bank_statement.pdf -], cd: "/Users/myuser/hello_phoenix/pdfs/")

pdf_as_text
|> String.split("\n") 
|> Stream.map(fn line ->
  regexline = Regex.run(~r/(^\d{1,2}\.\d{1,2}\.\d{4})\s(.+?(?=\s\d{1,2}\.\d{1,2}))\s(\d{1,2}\.\d{1,2})\s(.+?(?=\s))\s(.*)/, line)
  case regexline do
  	[_,full_date, text, date, amount, total] ->
  	  {full_date, text, date, amount, total}
  	_ -> 
  	    nil
  end
end) |> Enum.reject( fn(x) -> x == nil end) |> Enum.to_list |> IO.inspect

basically gets raw text from pdf and then runs a regex on each line, also explore the -layout option for pdftotext, depending on your use case..

Max

Max OP

Thank you both. pdf2htmlex looks nice. But pdftotext is what i was looking for.

outlog

outlog

just adding this example if somebody wants to scrape a pdf that you have stored in DB, or downloaded through http etc.

you need Porcelain, and with the goon dependency installed (“go build” it yourself from source as the shipped binary is currently wrong version - at least for mac):

  def to_text_from_pdf(msg) do
    decoded = :base64.decode(msg.pdffile)
    %Porcelain.Result{out: output, status: status} = Porcelain.exec("pdftotext", ["-raw", "-", "-"], in: decoded)
    output
  end
coilardium

coilardium

how do I integrate this lib GitHub - jalan/pdftotext · GitHub in my elixir app

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews