marick

marick

I’d like to print “zero reservations”, “one reservation”, “two reservations”, etc. I can use inflex to get plurals and singulars, but I can’t find anything that’s the equivalent of Ruby’s to_words or humanize gems. Neither inflex nor Number has what I want:

to_word(1) # "one"

Am I missing something? Were I to port one of the Ruby libraries, is there an Elixir library to target for a pull request?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Thanks for the shoutout. The package on hex is ex_cldr_numbers (I am the author). Some examples from the readme:

Formatting numbers as words, ordinals and roman numerals

  • As words. For example, formatting 123 into “one hundred and twenty-three” for the “en” locale. The applicable format types are :spellout and :spellout_verbose.
iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout
{:ok, "one hundred twenty-three"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "de"
{:ok, "ein­hundert­drei­und­zwanzig"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "fr"
{:ok, "cent vingt-trois"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "th"
{:ok, "หนึ่ง​ร้อย​ยี่​สิบ​สาม"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "he"
{:ok, "מאה עשרים ושלוש"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "es"
{:ok, "ciento veintitrés"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout, locale: "zh"
{:ok, "一百二十三"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout_verbose
{:ok, "one hundred and twenty-three"}
  • As a year. In many languages the written form of a year is different to that used for an arbitrary number. For example, formatting 1989 would result in “nineteen eighty-nine”. The applicable format type is :spellout_year.
iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 2017, format: :spellout_year
{:ok, "twenty seventeen"}
  • As an ordinal. For example, formatting 123 into “123rd”. The applicable format types are :ordinal, :spellout_ordinal and :spellout_ordinal_verbose.
iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :ordinal
{:ok, "123rd"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout_ordinal
{:ok, "one hundred twenty-third"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :spellout_ordinal_verbose
{:ok, "one hundred and twenty-third"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :ordinal, locale: "fr"
{:ok, "123e"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :ordinal, locale: "zh"
{:ok, "第123"}
  • As Roman numerals. For example, formatting 123 into “CXXIII”. The applicable formats are :roman or :roman_lower. Note that roman number formatting is only supported for numbers between 1 and 5,000.
iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :roman
{:ok, "CXXIII"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123, format: :roman_lower
{:ok, "cxxiii"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 12345, format: :roman_lower
{:ok, "12,345"}
18
Post #2
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I keep being impressed by the high quality of your work. Extremely well done.

jawbean.05

jawbean.05

Hello how about with decimal amount, can convert to word?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Yes. ex_cldr and friends support integers, floats and Decimals.

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string Decimal.new(123), format: :spellout
{:ok, "one hundred twenty-three"}
joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

Hello everyone,

Is it me or the to_string function does not support decimals?

iex(20)> Mercando.Cldr.Number.to_string(234.23, format: :spellout)
{:error,
 {Cldr.Rbnf.NoRuleForNumber,
  "rule group :spellout_numbering for locale :en does not know how to process 234.23"}}

If this is the case, can someone explain why? Is there any way to make it work?

Best regards,

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Rules based number formats are curious things and the default :spellout_numbering rule (which is what you get with format: :spellout doesn’t support fractional digits. I suspect that it’s because most (maybe all?) locales support :spellout_numbering but not all locales have the notion of spelling out the fractional part.

However all is not lost, there are other rule sets. You can see what rule sets exist for a given locale with:

iex> Cldr.Rbnf.rule_names_for_locale :en
{:ok,
 [:spellout_ordinal_verbose, :spellout_cardinal_verbose, :spellout_cardinal,
  :spellout_ordinal, :spellout_numbering_year, :spellout_numbering_verbose,
  :spellout_numbering, :digits_ordinal]}

And if you try :spellout_cardinal and :spellout_cardinal_verbose you’ll see:

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 1234.456, format: :spellout_cardinal
{:ok, "one thousand two hundred thirty-four point four five six"}

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 1234.456, format: :spellout_cardinal_verbose
{:ok, "one thousand two hundred and thirty-four point four five six"}
joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

Thanks @kip,

I hope I had found this library when starting my project.

Tried your solution and worked for locale “en” but not for “es”.

Still, this is of great help. I am going to create a small function to separate the decimals and create a new string out of it.

Best regards,

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

@joaquinalcerro, not all locales have the same RBNF (rules based number formats) rules. That’s why it’s important to check first what rules are available. For :es:

iex> Cldr.Rbnf.rule_names_for_locale :en
{:ok,
 [:spellout_ordinal_verbose, :spellout_numbering_verbose,
  :spellout_cardinal_verbose, :spellout_cardinal, :spellout_ordinal,
  :spellout_numbering_year, :spellout_numbering, :digits_ordinal]}

As you can see there is no :spellout_cardinal but there are :spellout_cardinal_masculine and :spellout_cardinal_feminine. Lets try those:

iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123.456, format: :spellout_cardinal_masculine, locale: :es
{:ok, "ciento veintitrés punto cuatro cinco seis"}
iex> MyApp.Cldr.Number.to_string 123.456, format: :spellout_cardinal_feminine, locale: :es
{:ok, "ciento veintitrés punto cuatro cinco seis"}

Note: Requires the latest ex_cldr_numbers version 2.32.2.

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

Thanks @kip for the detailed explanation.

This will work perfectly for my use case.

Best regards

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews