aochagavia

aochagavia

I am looking for a way to split utf8 strings into chunks that have some logical cohesion (e.g. avoid splitting in the middle of a word or, worse, in the middle of a grapheme cluster). The unicode standard annex 29 defines so-called word boundaries, which I would like to use to ensure the chunking also works for non-latin alphabets.

According to unicode’s definition of word boundaries, a sentence like “the quick brown fox” would be split into “the”, “quick”, “brown”, “fox”. Similarly, the sentence “这只是一些随机的文本” would be split into “这”, “只”, “是”, “一”, “些”, “随”, “机”, “的”, “文”, “本”.

Is there any Elixir library that has functions for this purpose? In Rust we have the unicode-segmentation crate which provides the unicode_words function to split a string into unicode words (click here for a runnable example), but so far I haven’t been able to find something like that for Elixir.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s https://github.com/elixir-unicode/unicode, which probably has some way to do what you want to do, though I’ve never had to use it on my own, so can’t be sure about it.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

unicode_string implements the Unicode text segmentation specification and for your case specifically the Unicode word break algorithm. The current version is based upon Unicode 15 released on September 13, 2022.

See Unicode.String.split/2.

TR 29 provides specific break data for several but not all locales. Some locales have data only for line break suppressions (ie abbreviations like i.e. that do not signal a line break) and some include data for word breaks too, like the “ja” locale.

Otherwise the default break rules are used and worth a look to see what is going on under the hood. Its not as straight forward as you might think. All of these rules are used to define functions at compile time to optimise performance.

iex> Unicode.String.Segment.known_locales
["de", "el", "en", "en-US", "en-US-POSIX", "es", "fi", "fr", "it", "ja", "pt",
 "root", "ru", "sv", "zh", "zh-Hant"]

Here are your examples, using Unicode.String.split/2:

# "en" uses the default word break rules
iex> Unicode.String.split "the quick brown fox", trim: true
["the", "quick", "brown", "fox"]
# There are word break rules specific to "zh"
iex> Unicode.String.split "这只是一些随机的文本", locale: "zh"
["这", "只", "是", "一", "些", "随", "机", "的", "文", "本"]

Japanese does have specific word break rules so here’s an example. Notice that there is no whitespace separation. Word breaks in Japanese are determined by other means.

iex> Unicode.String.split "注ちゅう文もんの多おおい料りょう理り店", locale: "ja"
["注", "ちゅう", "文", "もんの", "多", "おおい", "料", "りょう",
 "理", "り", "店"]
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews