RodolfoSilva

RodolfoSilva

Hi everyone, I’m developing a project where I will allow users to dynamically edit and execute code. I was wondering if there is any way to limit what the user can do and access. Something like livebook do.

At the moment, the basic implementation I’m using is this:

code = "\"Hello \#{input}\""
quoted = Code.string_to_quoted!(code)
env = Code.env_for_eval([])
binding = [input: "Name"]
{value, _binding, _env} =  Code.eval_quoted_with_env(quoted, binding, env, prune_binding: true)
IO.puts(value)

For example, I don’t want users to have access to my application’s modules as Ecto. I need a way to limit the user’s environment and allow him to install dependencies and use only the library installed by him.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachallaun

zachallaun

I don’t believe Code has utilities for running things in a sandbox.

I’m not an expert in this, but I believe the best practice for these sorts of things is to run the code in a fully sandboxed environment, e.g. a container that you can spin up explicitly for this purpose that is configured with limited resources, no Internet connection, etc.

D4no0

D4no0

If you need only templating, I would strongly recommend using a templating engine (like mustache), as code generation at runtime is dangerous (access to the system is not the only danger) , there are few other solutions if you need code though:

  1. using a sandboxed environment like luerl, of course the scripts have to be written in lua, this is fully safe and you have full control over the sandbox;
  2. if you want specifically to write only elixir, there is Dune, in this case you will lose a part of the language functionality and it is not fully secure, I would avoid using this if your system is exposed to the internet to be accessed by random users, as there might be ways to ddos the system;.
RodolfoSilva

RodolfoSilva OP

A ideia é construir algo como o Livebook, para gerar fluxos de trabalho para rodar dentro da empresa, mas a ideia principal é transformar isso em um projeto OpenSource.
Seria uma alternativa ao Zapier, n8n, node-red.

I already start the project:



@josevalim do you have any suggestion?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews