CharlesO

CharlesO

How do we limit a Req.post! or Req.get! to a total timeout of just 2000ms?

I have an integration that needs very timely responses.
Limiting external API requests to just 2000ms would help my integration scenario.

I have looked at the documentation, but I’m not getting it at all.
As usual, AI suggestions are no use either.

suggested code - Via WhatsApp Meta AI Llama 3.2

def test do
    Req.get!("https://api.github.com/repos/wojtekmach/req",
      finch: [
        options: [
          timeout: 2000,
          receive_timeout: 2000
        ]
      ]
    )
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 5

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

this seems to limit just the connection part, but not the entire request duration

Req.get!("https://httpbin.org", connect_options: [timeout: 2000])

hilko

hilko

Could it work to just spawn a task that just times out after that amount of time?

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

If I Cannot get the Req to behave as I expect it to, then your idea is indeed solid.

Thanks.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I think the Finch option you want is :request_timeout:

The amount of time to wait for a complete response before returning an error. This timeout only applies to HTTP/1, and its current implementation is a best effort timeout, it does not guarantee the call will return precisely when the time has elapsed. Default value is :infinity .

And if you’re using HTTP/2 then that won’t work.

And the syntax to set the various timeouts looks like:

Req.get("https://httpbin.org", connect_options: [timeout: 500], receive_timeout: 2000, pool_timeout: 500)

The main place to see those options is at: Req — req v0.6.2

But I’m pretty sure those various timeouts all stack so if you want to limit the total time I agree with @hilko that a Task is your best bet.

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

I added retry: false as well, so far the receive_timeout: 2000 seems okay

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews