fireproofsocks
I was trying to add some code to one of my config files in order to convert the value from a string (as it would be read from an ENV variable) to a boolean – I had a custom is_truthy? function for this. However, I got compilation errors saying that MyApp is not available. I didn’t realize that you weren’t allowed to run your application’s modules and call its functions from config files. Is this really the case? And what’s the reasoning behind it?
Thanks for explanations!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Without configuration your App cannot be started. Without your App started you cannot use functions of your Application.
Nicd
Your modules are compiled using the generated config, not the other way around. So when the config is being processed, you cannot use the modules because they have not been compiled. Otherwise there would be cyclic dependencies.
What you can do is use MFA (module, function, arguments) syntax to refer to functions that you will later run at runtime. So for example
callback_function: {MyApp.MyModule, :function, [1, "foo"]}is fine.As for the release config files that are evaluated during runtime at system startup, I think @LostKobrakai’s post covers that case. But I’m not an expert on them.
LostKobrakai
Both answers come down to: Your App depends on your configuration, so your configuration cannot depend on your app.
fireproofsocks
Makes sense when you think about it in that light. Thank you!
Nicd
Just an addendum to this older post: In runtime config (
config/runtime.exs), you can use your modules, as they have already been compiled. No applications are running at that point, but for example you can write config helpers like this: