ijdickinson

ijdickinson

I’m trying to write a really basic Wallaby test to check that an anchor link navigates the user to the right page. My link:

<a href="/cases/new-case" class="button button__primary ">
  Add a new case
</a>

My test:

session =
  session
  |> visit(~p"/cases")
  |> assert_has(Query.link("Add a new case", count: 1))
  |> click(Query.link("Add a new case"))
  |> assert_has(..predicates to test new page ...)

The problem is that although the assert_has succeeds, and I can see that the link is visible in the browser, the navigation to the new page does not happen - even if I insert a sleep.

This seems like a pretty basic test automation, so I’m really not sure why the link follow is not working. I know I can just visit() the URL of the destination page, but in this test I want to text the UX of clicking on the link. But I have no hypotheses left to explore as to why the link is not being visited, and would welcome any suggestions.

I’m on Ubuntu, using chromedriver-120.0.6099.109 and an identical version of Google Chrome

Showing Posts 1 to 3

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Is there any more context you can share because that should definitely work.

ijdickinson

ijdickinson OP

@sodapopcan The additional context, I think, is to do with authentication. The route I’m testing requires user log-in. I’m following this pattern to set a browser cookie as though the user had logged in. From what I can tell, this is allowing me to successfully visit the initial page (/cases/, but not navigate to the second route /cases/new-case), even though both are normally navigable in one session.

I’m only trying the cookie-injection method because I’ve been seeing some non-deterministic failures when I create the same test but replicate the user logging-in at the start of the session. It’s all been a bit frustrating, tbh!

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

hmmmm, that does sound frustrating. I can’t speak to the cookie method and just run the user through the log in process every single time and actually prefer to do so. I’ve never run into any non-determinism with this method. Did you figure out why it was happening? If not, that sounds like it could possibly be a symptom of an actual implementation issue.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews