lessless

lessless

Hi,
I’m having a bit of a hard time making sense of linking child spans from the Oban to the parent span and I hope somebody can clear that out for me.

Here is roughly the code from the first pass

span_ctx = OpenTelemetry.Tracer.start_span(:parent)
Task.async(fn ->
  link = OpenTelemetry.link(span_ctx) |> IO.inspect(label: "link")
  OpenTelemetry.Tracer.with_span :"my-task", %{links: [link]} do
    :hello
  end
end)
:otel_span.end_span(span_ctx, :undefined)

In the output, I can see that traced_id inside link matches the second item from the span_ctx tuple, but in Zipkin, those are two different traces and “my-task” doesn’t have a parent.


iex(5)> span_ctx = OpenTelemetry.Tracer.start_span(:parent)
{:span_ctx, 98688298365639109931104546606962518618, 12736530893077507678, 1, [],
 true, false, true,
 {:otel_span_ets, #Function<2.133377841/1 in :otel_tracer_server.on_end/1>}}
iex(6)> Task.async(fn ->
...(6)>   link = OpenTelemetry.link(span_ctx) |> IO.inspect(label: "link")
...(6)>   OpenTelemetry.Tracer.with_span :"my-task", %{links: [link]} do
...(6)>     :hello
...(6)>   end
...(6)> end)
link: %{
  attributes: %{},
  span_id: 12736530893077507678,
  trace_id: 98688298365639109931104546606962518618,
  tracestate: []
}
%Task{
  mfa: {:erlang, :apply, 2},
  owner: #PID<0.887.0>,
  pid: #PID<0.899.0>,
  ref: #Reference<0.3396824287.1941766146.188407>
}
iex(7)> :otel_span.end_span(span_ctx, :undefined)
{:span_ctx, 98688298365639109931104546606962518618, 12736530893077507678, 1, [],
 true, false, false,
 {:otel_span_ets, #Function<2.133377841/1 in :otel_tracer_server.on_end/1>}}
iex(8)>

Second pass

I attempted to start_span / end_span instead of with_span but the same result was the same - two uncorrelated spans



span_ctx = OpenTelemetry.Tracer.start_span(:parent) |> IO.inspect(label: "parent_ctx")
Task.async(fn ->
  link = OpenTelemetry.link(span_ctx) |> IO.inspect(label: "link")
  child_span_ctx = OpenTelemetry.Tracer.start_span(:child_async, %{links: [link]})  |> IO.inspect(label: "child span ctx")
  Process.sleep(20)
  :otel_span.end_span(child_span_ctx, :undefined)
end)
:otel_span.end_span(span_ctx, :undefined)

However I noticed that child span doesn’t have anything in relation to the parent span

Third pass

I briefly looked at the otel_span.erl and decided to put parent span as a current span before start a new span in the child process and it worked

span_ctx = OpenTelemetry.Tracer.start_span(:parent) |> IO.inspect(label: "parent_ctx")
Task.async(fn ->
  OpenTelemetry.Tracer.set_current_span(span_ctx)
  OpenTelemetry.Tracer.with_span(:child_third_pass) do
    Process.sleep(20)
  end
end)
:otel_span.end_span(span_ctx, :undefined)

Am I confused about the role of the links?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

kanishka

kanishka

It’s been a few years, but I think the interpretation of “link” is up to the renderer to decide how to show the relationship, so parent seems closer to what you want.

In other languages, you also have to be careful to thread the parent span along properly as you switch between threads. Usually threading through the span between function calls gets noisy, so each language uses their language specific idiom for propagating a value for one thread between function calls implicitly. I haven’t thought about how a tracer would be implemented in elixir.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews