Linux Mint 19 Elixir troubles

Hi all. I installed a fresh Mint 19 Cinnamon machine, Threadripper 1950x. I did the normal install developer tools and such. Then I went to elixir-lang.org and downloaded the .deb 64 bit, and did an install. Erlang 1:20.2.2+dfsg-1ubuntu2 is installed.

This is causing some issues, like

threadripper:~/forritun/elixir$ mix new myapp
** (Mix) Application name must start with a letter and have only lowercase letters, numbers and underscore, got: "myapp". The application name is inferred from the path, if you'd like to explicitly name the application then use the "--app APP" option.

and this one.

threadripper:~/forritun/elixir$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:32:32] [ds:32:32:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

{"init terminating in do_boot",{{badmatch,error},[{'Elixir.System',build,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,172}]},{'Elixir.System',build_info,0,[{file,"lib/system.ex"},{line,164}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',parse_shared,2,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,153}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI','shared_option?',3,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,113}]},{'Elixir.Kernel.CLI',main,1,[{file,"lib/kernel/cli.ex"},{line,14}]},{init,start_em,1,[]},{init,do_boot,3,[]}]}}
init terminating in do_boot ({{badmatch,error},[{Elixir.System,build,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.System,build_info,0,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,parse_shared,2,[{_},{_}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,shared_option?,

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump…done

Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Everything is straight from the box, MINT is updated, that is the only difference.

I seem to remember that you had to do some mix commands to get thing started, but I have not done so.

@zorglubb Why did you manually downloaded .deb file? Is not easier to install it from Erlang Solutions repo? Also if nothing else works and you just want to quickly install it then I recommend using asdf. It works same in all distributions. :077:

4 Likes

I just clicked on the link, a File open dialog appears, I choose the package manager and pressed install.
I installed Erlang with ‘apt install erlang’ from the mint repo

What is asdf ? It has come up in my searches but I have never used it.

asdf allows you to easily install not only Erlang and Elixir, but also PostgreSQL and lots of other languages, databases and other tools. All of them are versioned and it’s trivial to switch between versions (of course having in mind that Elixir should be with same version of Erlang which it was compiled).

1 Like

I will need to look into asdf, that is for sure.

I ditched Linux mint for Ubuntu 18.04 and everything just works great. No more problems. Mix just works as expected and so does elixir, erlang and all.

1 Like