Deithrian
I saw that there’s a port for Elixir and Phoenix on FreeBSD.
Why would you want to run a Phoenix project on FreeBSD vs Linux?
Can you share your opinion please?
I’m trying to pick a deployment target and start learning about it.
Since Linux seems to be the default choice for servers, are there any reasons for choosing FreeBSD instead?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
As nearly always when it comes to the choice of an operating system, this choice might be driven by many different kind of “arguments”:
sashaafm
Like the other people have said, unless you have a very specific reason to use FreeBSD I think it’s best to stick to Linux.
Deithrian
I was actually expecting some big arguments against using BSD, but since there seem to be none, I’ll give it a spin

It’s going to be an adventure in uncharted waters for me, but I have high hopes that the buzz will be strong
sashaafm
Please do report back
AstonJ
Why do you want to use FreeBSD @Deithrian? Just curious
Deithrian
@AstonJ I have emotional scars from trying to remove a video codec under Linux and watching the entire OS disappear in front of my eyes

The bloody thing destroyed itself over a video codec…
I know I should read the deps and bla bla, but come on… that’s like uninstalling QuickTime on Windows and watching the uninstaller delete system32
And so, BSD seems to be the second obvious choice for servers, plus no emotional scars there yet lol
I also saw a couple of talks on BSD and there’s a good amount of reasons for using it too.
AstonJ
What’s the TLDR/benefits on using FeeBSD (over Linux) @Deithrian?
Don’t you use the minimal Linux installs on your server? We use the minimal CentOS 7 image (minimal system with SSH daemon) on our new servers and just install what we need…
Mandemus
BSD is a port of Unix to the PC.
Linux is a unix-like emulator for the PC.
Splitting of hairs for the most part. /etc/rc.d/* vs inittab, jail vs virtualization, no run levels. In the end though csh works like csh on both platforms.
BSD would be just harder to maintain. Desktop builds such as PCBSD are a far cry from the user experience you get with modern linux distros.
FreeBSD was the mainstay of colocated machines back in the 90’s when everyone was running a DikuMUD. RedHat started making headway around 1999 or so.
Building up Centos minimal installs is what I’ve always done for deployed projects too. However the fact that ‘stable’ means things installed via yum and the Centos repo are a year behind gets aggravating. Often having to build things from source.
For development at home I choose Fedora for this very reason.
AstonJ
Thanks @Mandemus, so basically theres no real benefit and it becomes harder to maintain. I was expecting more. I guess perhaps it ‘might’ be a little more secure since it is not used as much?
Haha I hear you, but the upside is a rock solid system
I use Chruby for ruby versions and don’t mind the occasional building from source.
Mandemus
BSD is rock solid and secure. Not through obscurity but It’s having a long pedigree. It is as I said an actual port of AT&T’s System V Unix. Linux is merely a unix inspired workalike.
AIX on IBM Power hardware is prevalent in science and business, OsX on the Macintosh is also BSD.
I wanted to install two ubiquitous things last month. lftp and tmux. Both were like 5 minor versions behind. I run into that constantly with Centos. It makes the repo essentially a worthless exercise in frustration.
I get why they do it, stability. Still while I don’t need almost daily updates like with Fedora, but the way things are the Centos repo is always feeling ancient.