Linux vs FreeBSD for Phoenix?

Sure, there’s no perfect OS for everyone, and I’m not trying to engage in a pissing contest of that type, but I think for all the reasons I’ve listed above, FreeBSD would be a better choice for ‘most’ in this community, especially taking into account single and small team developers who do not have the resources of Google to build and nurse their own Linux distro.

As I’ve said before, if someone needs an edge case, then pick a Linux distro (perhaps for a unique hardware requirement) or SmartOS/Illumos (for a leading edge OS feature), but otherwise, choosing FreeBSD will give ‘most’ in this community all the features, stability, security, and support they need to go far, and should they find FreeBSD doesn’t do what they need, they will be in a good position to migrate to an alternative.

I used WhatsApp and Netfix and Apache Foundation as examples because they represent diversity of uses, but I could have also include Yahoo etc simply to show the FreeBSD should cover most production scenarios that Phoenix could be used for.

2 Likes