idi527

idi527

Is there a way to list all the processes registered in Registry [0] with the help of via tuple?
There is a way to look up the pid for a given key. But I’d like to get all the processes registered in a particular registry. Maybe I can access its ets table(s) somehow? Or maybe I can register all those processes in a group somehow? But it’s only possible to use unique registries for via calls…

I was thinking about :listeners option on start_link [1] where I would add some genserver which would be storing the names of registered processes, but that would be duplication of data.

[0] https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/master/Registry.html
[1] https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/master/Registry.html#start_link/3

Showing Posts 1 to 10

wmnnd

wmnnd

Since you are probably using the Registry for registering processes that are then supervised by a Supervisor, you could try Supervisor.which_children/1.

idi527

idi527 OP

That’s what I am currently doing, but there is a note in the docs, that it can cause a memory exception, so I thought it’s simpler to get the data from ets tables.

dom

dom

What are you trying to do? What would you do with the list once you get it?

idi527

idi527 OP

The processes I’m registering in Registry are rooms from apps/room in umbrella. Their state is a struct like this (might not work, I’ve just started using types and specs)

@type message :: record(:message, username: String.t, content: String.t)
@type room :: %__MODULE__{
  id: String.t,
  title: String.t,
  history: [message],
  timer_ref: reference
}

What I want is to list all the active rooms (just their id and title) when a user connects to a "lobby" channel.

With which_children I also get history and timer_ref which I don’t need

def list_rooms do
  Supervisor.which_children(Test.Room.Supervisor)
  |> Enum.map(fn {_, pid, _, _} when is_pid(pid) ->
    %Test.Room{id: id, title: title} = :sys.get_state(pid)
    {id, title}
  end)
end
dom

dom

If there’s a lot of rooms, I’d be more worried about the impact of sequentially messaging every single room process (which is what map + get_state does) than about the impact of duplicating the registration.

Have you considered using a duplicate registry, and registering directly in your room’s init rather than using :via? Then you could register with {id, title} as the value and get all the id/titles quickly without adding load to your processes.

idi527

idi527 OP

Thank you. I’ll try that now. Just thought I could access the ets tables that Registry uses directly.

idi527

idi527 OP

Is this approximately what you suggested? I’ve removed some unnecessary code

defmodule Test.Room do
  use GenServer

  @registry Test.Room.Registry

  def start_link(room_id, title \\ nil, history \\ []) do
    case Registry.match(@registry, :rooms, {room_id, :_}) do
      [] ->
        room = %__MODULE__{id: room_id, title: title, history: history}
        GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, room)
      [{pid, _value}] ->
        {:error, {:already_registered, pid}}
    end
  end

  def do_smth(room_id, data) do
    GenServer.call(room_pid(room_id), {:do_smth, data})
  end

  def list do
    Registry.lookup(@registry, :rooms)
  end
  def list(limit) do
    Registry.lookup(@registry, :rooms) |> Enum.take(limit)
  end


  def init(%__MODULE__{id: id, title: title} = room) do
    {:ok, _owner_pid} = Registry.register(@registry, :rooms, {id, title})
    {:ok, room}
  end


  defp room_pid(room_id) do
    case Registry.match(@registry, :rooms, {room_id, :_}) do
      [{pid, {^room_id, _title}}] -> pid
      [] -> :undefined
    end
  end
end

What I don’t like about this approach now is that I have to manually check whether a room has already been started. And I can only list all the rooms, and not just some subset of them.

Anyway, thanks again. I think it’s a good solution.

I will try and compare it with a unique registry with :via callbacks and a listener (maybe a genserver) which keeps the list of active rooms. What I like about that option is that I will be able to add pagination there (maybe with ets iterator).

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Registry.lookup/2 would return all entries under a given key for a duplicate registry.

dom

dom

Hmm yes, but there’s a race condition in start_link, so you’d really need both registries.

Rolling your own cache isn’t a bad idea either.

idi527

idi527 OP

there’s a race condition in start_link

Oops, I don’t see it. Can you please tell me where? I thought GenServer.start_link and init were synchronous.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews