glpecile

glpecile

Hi everyone! I’m new to elixir and phoenix and I’ve been reading lots of documentation lately for a feature I have to implement.

Anyways, I have a dashboard of sorts that needs to be updated real time instead of having to reload the site to have the latest data. I’ve seen various ways of doing this, sometimes with a PubSub, others with Channels, other times with Streams and also with callbacks but I don’t know which one is the better practice, I guess it depends as there are trade-offs for each method.

I currently have a live_session of the LV page and the data is first fetched on the mount callback and then rendered but there no other callbacks involved. There’s also a periodical process that is called to get data but this isn’t connected to the LV and I thought maybe it could be used to trigger a re-render using send but I’d have to somehow get the LV’s pid to the periodical function from what I’ve read here.

I’m kinda stuck between all these alternatives atm, pls help.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

cmo

cmo

You don’t need the pid if you use pubsub. Try pubsub.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews