ggerico

ggerico

I got troubles with the live-reload for .ex files in a phoenix (1.3.4) app. I don’t use linters, nor vim.

I made a complete reinstall, removing every thing in the deps directory rm -rf *and all the compiled files rm -rf _build.
Then I mix deps.get the dependencies and compile the project and then:

$ mix compile

12:01:20.452 [info]  Compiling file system watcher for Mac...
==> file_system
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//CoreServices.framework/CoreServices.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//CoreServices.framework/CoreServices are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks//CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks//CFNetwork.framework/Versions/A/CFNetwork are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/OSServices are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/LaunchServices are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.
ld: warning: text-based stub file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SharedFileList.framework/Versions/A/SharedFileList.tbd and library file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/SharedFileList.framework/Versions/A/SharedFileList are out of sync. Falling back to library file for linking.

After reading some articles on the web I tried in different ways to get the proper command line tools (last version 10.0 via the app store and previous version via xcode-select --install) but it didn’t work.

then I created a new project with mix phx.new (v 1.3.4) and the live-reload didn’t work either.

I read some go programmers on mac also got these warnings.

Someone can help?
Is there a connection between those warnings and the failure of the phoenix live-reload?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

Nicd

Nicd

This is a macOS issue while compiling the file_system package, so not directly related to Phoenix.

Have you tried this? http://sd.jtimothyking.com/2018/07/26/stub-file-and-library-file-out-of-sync/ – In short: forcibly remove Xcode command line tools and then reinstall them.

ggerico

ggerico OP

Have you tried this? http://sd.jtimothyking.com/2018/07/26/stub-file-and-library-file-out-of-sync/

Yes I had and unfortunately it didn’t help.

ggerico

ggerico OP

The issue is on air in the github of golang. Wait and see.

ggerico

ggerico OP

The workaround mentioned by Nicd and more information can be found here.

Even if the fix doesn’t work on my Mac, with Command Line Tools v.10.0 already installed (updated from the App Store the Sep 20, 2018) on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

ggerico

ggerico OP

More information concerning this issue, if you are about to upgrade your OS to macOS Mojave, excerpt from the golang github.

Upgrading to macOS Mojave, which came out today, seems to fix the issue for me. I can no longer reproduce it on the following configuration:

OS: macOS Mojave, version 10.14 (18A391)
Go versions: current tip at 2018-09-25 01:17 (0ee8a55), tip at 2018-09-18 21:34 (d24ec86)
Xcode: version 10.0 (10A255) (installed, but haven’t done the “install additional required components” yet; version via xcodebuild -version )
Xcode CLI tools: seemingly no longer installed, getting No receipt for 'com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables' found at '/'. , although git and others are available in CLI (via pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables )

However, it’s not conclusive if the issue is completely resolved, because it seems upgrading to Mojave caused the Xcode CLI tools to no longer be installed by default, and running Xcode 10 asks to “install additional required components” again. I haven’t done those steps yet.

ggerico

ggerico OP

Is there a connection between those warnings and the failure of the phoenix live-reload?

NO !!!
I have added this line ~r{lib/.*(ex)$} in the endpoint file, and everything’s working now.

config :my_app, MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
  live_reload: [
    patterns: [
      ~r{priv/static/.*(js|css|png|jpeg|jpg|gif|svg)$},
      ~r{priv/gettext/.*(po)$},
      ~r{lib/.*(ex)$}
      # ~r{lib/my_app_web/views/.*(ex)$},
      # ~r{lib/my_app_web_web/templates/.*(eex)$}
    ]
  ]

isn’t Phoenix.CodeReloader watching the lib directory by default?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Nope, to prevent way too many unrelated updates from happening in non-umbrella/dep style projects.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews