jstimps
I’ve noticed that the default PATH env var used by Livebook Desktop does not include /usr/local/bin on my system.
(I know that the PATH can be set manually on the Settings page, and that does work, but I’m wondering if /usr/local/bin could be added to the default PATH without user intervention)
System.get_env("PATH")
"/Applications/Livebook.app/Contents/Resources/rel/vendor/otp/erts-15.0/bin:/Applications/Livebook.app/Contents/Resources/rel/vendor/otp/bin:/Applications/Livebook.app/Contents/Resources/rel/vendor/elixir/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
This appears to be specific to the Livebook Desktop installation. When running from a local build, the PATH is set to the value from my terminal session env, as expected.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
code-shoily
I was thinking about this very think yesterday. I did have it set manually (along with my zsh defined PATH) but I would be curious to know too
jonatanklosko
When you start Livebook from the terminal it inherits all env vars, including PATH form your terminal session. Livebook Desktop on the other hand is started outside of the terminal session, so it doesn’t have access to the usual PATH.
jstimps
Thank you, that makes sense. However, wouldnt it be preferable to have Livebook Desktop include standard system paths like /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin in the default base path?
jonatanklosko
The main thing is that we need to draw the line somewhere. Many binaries will be installed to
/opt/homebrew/bin, but that’s not a standard path. We could add only the default ones from/etc/pathsor similar, but that just slightly moves the line, so currently we just prefer users to explicitly add whatever they need.