kraleppa

kraleppa

I’m happy to announce LiveDebugger v0.1.0! :mega:

LiveDebugger is a browser-based tool for debugging LiveView applications, designed to enhance your development experience. It gives you:

  • :deciduous_tree: A detailed view of your LiveComponents tree
  • :mag: The ability to inspect assigns for LiveViews and LiveComponents
  • :link: Tracing of their callback executions

The idea for LiveDebugger came up while developing a large-scale LiveView application for a client - we faced some challenges in tracking state changes and component interactions.

We plan to continue developing LiveDebugger, with new features like highlighting LiveComponents on the way. We’d love your feedback to help improve this tool for everyone!

https://github.com/software-mansion/live-debugger

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Terbium-135

Terbium-135

Looks very promising to me. I had a look at it a week ago after it was mentioned in the Thinking Elixir podcast

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

Check out our new blog post about LiveDebugger with a detailed introduction and list of upcoming features! :rocket:

https://medium.com/swmansion/introduction-to-livedebugger-a-tool-for-debugging-phoenix-liveview-apps-bf7e56ab00fb

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

Check out the first sneak peek of upcoming features in LiveDebugger v0.2.0 :hammer_and_wrench:

In this version, we plan to release features that will make your life much easier, including component highlighting and an option to run LiveDebugger in Chrome DevTools.

The second sneak peek will be published next week, and we will show you new callback filters and dark mode.

LiveDebugger v0.2.0 will be published in early May. Stay tuned for more!

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

Catch the second sneak peek of the upcoming LiveDebugger v0.2.0 features :rocket:

In this video you will see how we implemented callbacks filtering and brand new dark mode

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

LiveDebugger v0.2.0 is out! :rocket:
I’m happy to share that today, we released LiveDebugger v0.2.0. This version includes a set of features that we hope will have a big positive impact on your developer experience, such as component highlighting or support for the Chrome DevTools extension.

Also, we’ve already defined the scope for v0.3.0 - check our roadmap for details.

If you have any questions, ideas, or bug reports, feel free to create an issue, create a new thread on discussions, or write to us on the LiveDebugger channel on elixir-lang Slack.

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

LiveDebugger v0.3.0 Released! :rocket:

The newest version of LiveDebugger is here, packed with powerful new features:

  • Global Callback Traces: Get a comprehensive view of your components interactions.
  • Callback Execution Time: Identify and optimize performance bottlenecks.
  • Improved Debugging for Redirects and Errors: Troubleshoot with ease.
  • Firefox Extension Support: Broaden your debugging capabilities across more browsers.

:backhand_index_pointing_right: Check our roadmap for what’s coming next and join the LiveDebugger channel on elixir-lang Slack for support and feedback.

Happy debugging!

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

LiveDebugger v0.4.0 is here :tada:

In this release we focused on refactor and made some big changes to the code architecture that will speed up future development. Besides that we added a set of new features:
:man_detective: Inspect mode
:magnifying_glass_tilted_left: Phrase searching in callback traces
:sparkles: Smoother debugging across reloads & errors

https://youtu.be/UxCUEC4Op6A

Our repo: https://github.com/software-mansion/live-debugger

benregn

benregn

Can you expand on this point?

Does it help with debugging LV crash loops for example? I find it hard currently to use LiveDebugger when there is a LV crash loops because I cannot click the debugger button.

KezuLan

KezuLan

In LiveDebugger we are tracing LiveView processes and when there is a crash or navigate, then the process dies and new one is taking its place. In 0.4.0 we’ve improved the system of finding “successor” process and it should give you overall a better experience.

Regarding debugging endless loops remember that you can open LiveDebugger in a separate window (port defaults to 4007 so it should be localhost:4007). Nevertheless if the reloads are fast then the ActiveLiveViews page is also reloading since the refresh is triggered on new LiveView process being born.

We will look more into “endless crash reload” debugging and how to improve it.
Thank you for your feedback

kraleppa

kraleppa OP

Dear LiveDebugger users!

We’ve got a tiny favor to ask - could you take a minute to fill out this short survey?
It’s all about how you use LiveDebugger and what we can do to make it better :rocket:

Thanks in advance for your time and input! :folded_hands:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews