benlime

benlime

LiveMotion enables high performance animations declared on the server and run on the client.

As a follow up to my previous thread A library for high performance LiveView animations I released the first initial version 0.1.0 of the library for you to play around with it.

There is still a lot to do, but works as a first version. I would be glad if you give it a try. I hope it makes animations using LiveView a lot more convenient.

Docs: LiveMotion — LiveMotion v0.3.1
Repo: GitHub - benvp/live_motion: High performance animation library for Phoenix LiveView · GitHub
Examples: https://livemotion.benvp.co

https://cleanshot-cloud-fra.accelerator.net/media/26144/yvBCYQ2B1940j2e20mhHJO12vauM1cfJo5gJgRP0.mp4
https://cleanshot-cloud-fra.accelerator.net/media/26144/p5RbCZhU7yRjtyBAb6E9U0LCNjzeJgBvGjP4Tqc7.mp4
If it would be preferable to merge it with my previous thread, please do so :slight_smile: I just thought it would be better to have a distinct thread for it.

Cheers
Ben

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benlime

benlime OP

Just release v0.1.2 which adds the LiveMotion.JS.show/1 function. This function was previously mentioned in the docs, but did not exist yet.

This let’s you now add client side animations for dynamically showing elements (e.g. on button clicks).

11
Post #1
kingdomcoder

kingdomcoder

Well done @benlime

Kudos!

bjunc

bjunc

Haven’t had a chance to peak under the hood, but you might find my CubicBezier lib useful. Essentially a port of the CSS timing functions (similar to what is used in GS and other tweening libs).

benlime

benlime OP

Not sure if I am missing something, but I think that’s not required for LiveMotion because all animations happen on the client. So there is actually no need to have cubic-bezier functions within the Elixir codebase.

v0.2.0

I released a new version which introduces two new lifecycle functions on_animation_start and on_animation_complete. These will allow you to push events or run JS actions whenever an animation starts or ends. You can do something like the following (in a phx-click handler for example):

MotionJS.animate([rotate: [0, 45, -45, 90, 0]], [duration: 1], to: "#rectangle")
  |> MotionJS.show(to: "#love-div", keyframes: [opacity: 1, y: 20, rotate: 180])
  |> Phoenix.LiveView.JS.push("some_push")

Additionally fixes a bug that animations did not run on update.

bjunc

bjunc

I don’t think you’re missing anything. Like I said, I didn’t look at the code, and it wasn’t immediately clear where the animation positions were being computed. The cubic-bezier lib above is for replicating client-side tweening libraries, but computed on a server.

In my tests, it is technically feasible to “stream” positioning from the server using this lib, but it can be impractical for many use-cases (opting for a FLIP model where the actual animation is computed client-side). However, there are some nice use-cases for calculating the percentage of a tween based on the easing function.

benlime

benlime OP

I understand. With LiveMotion I’m striving to fully run all animations directly on the client. I know there are technical demos with streaming animations, but as you said, it is quite impractical for almost all use cases. That’s why LiveMotion only declares (on the server) how the animation should be performed. The JS part then reads the declaration and performs the animations on the client accordingly.

benlime

benlime OP

I added a website with a few examples of LiveMotion. I’ll add more in the next couple of weeks.

15
Post #7
cblavier

cblavier

Awesome! Keep up with the good work :flexed_biceps:

thelastinuit

thelastinuit

Not all heroes wear capes!

benlime

benlime OP

I just released v0.3.0 of LiveMotion. This update includes support for LiveView 0.18 and adds a few new things. Check out the changelog.

Next up will be a new component called presence which will make transitions like the following possible.

https://twitter.com/benvp_/status/1562425248514916352

I orignally wanted to include it in this release, but it is still a bit experimental and needs a bit of polishing.

Stay tuned.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews