tauling
Hi,
I’m using phoenix 1.7 and trying to integrate my Elm front end with live reloading in the development setup. Starting from a fresh a phoenix project, I added import "./elm.js" to my app.js. In addition, I have a build.js file that bundles my Elm code using esbuild.
Whenever I modify my Elm code, I see the building of my Elm code taking place in the console. But the live reloading stops working if I import my elm.js in app.js. I still see the rebuilding taking place in the console, but the browser just doesn’t reload.
Would be great if someone has an idea on what I’m doing wrong here.
app.js
import "phoenix_html"
// Establish Phoenix Socket and LiveView configuration.
import {Socket} from "phoenix"
import {LiveSocket} from "phoenix_live_view"
//import topbar from "../vendor/topbar"
// Import the compiled Elm app:
import "./elm.js"
let csrfToken = document.querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']").getAttribute("content")
let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {params: {_csrf_token: csrfToken}})
// Show progress bar on live navigation and form submits
topbar.config({barColors: {0: "#29d"}, shadowColor: "rgba(0, 0, 0, .3)"})
window.addEventListener("phx:page-loading-start", _info => topbar.show(300))
window.addEventListener("phx:page-loading-stop", _info => topbar.hide())
// connect if there are any LiveViews on the page
liveSocket.connect()
// expose liveSocket on window for web console debug logs and latency simulation:
// >> liveSocket.enableDebug()
// >> liveSocket.enableLatencySim(1000) // enabled for duration of browser session
// >> liveSocket.disableLatencySim()
window.liveSocket = liveSocket
build.js
const esbuild = require('esbuild');
const ElmPlugin = require('esbuild-plugin-elm');
async function watch() {
const ctx = await esbuild.context({
entryPoints: ['src/index.js'],
bundle: true,
outfile: '../js/elm.js',
plugins: [
ElmPlugin({
debug: true,
clearOnWatch: true
}),
],
}).catch(_e => process.exit(1))
await ctx.watch()
console.log("done")
}
watch()
dev.exs watchers
node: ["./build.js", cd: Path.expand("../assets/elm", __DIR__)]
Best regards
Max
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
codeanpeace
I’d give the approach outlined in this Phoenix Elm Starter repo a try. At a glance, the
build.jsin particular takes a different approach.tauling
good point, I actually started with this exact starter repo, which currently doesn’t work properly due to the fact that esbuild 0.17.0 doesn’t support a watch flag anymore
my
build.jsuses an updated configuration to work withesbuild0.17.0, which turns out be working fine