Rodeoclash
How are others handling the following:
- Child components generating flashes (I’ve built a macro to easily send a flash to the root LiveView for display)
- Business logic which triggers a flash and redirect (i.e. updating your personal details and returning to the dashboard).
I really don’t have a good solution for “2” yet. Flash messages sent to the root component are never displayed because the root component is unmounted when the redirect is triggered.
One solution that springs to mind is to have two root LiveView components. One for the “pages” and the other which is solely responsible for displaying flash messages. Flashes could then be sent via PubSub subscriptions.
How have others solved this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
trisolaran
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question, but if I do:
I get redirected to the dashboard and I can see the flash message. Is this what you were looking for?
Rodeoclash
Hmm, the only difference with your code is I’m triggering the redirect from the child component. Maybe I need to push the flash and the redirect request to the parent component and I’ll get the flash on the destination page.
trisolaran
I wouldn’t even think in terms of the component pushing flash and redirect.
Generally, I don’t think a component should deal with redirecting or showing flash messages. Its concerns should be rendering and managing portions of your page. I would leave high-level tasks to the parent live view.
I would have the component send an event or a message to the parent live view, and have the parent live view react to it, in this case with a redirect and a flash message.
Rodeoclash
That seems reasonable, an “onBlah” style event, similar a bit to React’s pattern. Alright, thanks for letting me bounce some ideas around