mortenlund
Hi!
Suggest to add the ability to do use the components socket as input into Phoenix.LiveView.send_update/3 function to make it easier to send an update to self.
Using @myself as an argument is good, but think it would be easier to grasp when just using the current socket.
I think the cid is present in the socket and the module can be fetched using __MODULE__ is guess? ![]()
Example:
@impl true
def update(%{title: title}, socket) do
updated_socket = socket
|> assign(:title, title)
{:ok, updated_socket}
end
@impl true
def handle_event("update_title", %{"title" => title} = _params, socket) do
updated_socket = socket
|> send_update(title: title)
{:noreply, updated_socket}
end
Trending in Proposals: Ideas
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
steffend
You can always write a helper function and import that:
Your example is also a bit contrived, since you could just assign the value directly. Also note that send_update is asynchronous. It sends a message to the LiveView process, which invokes the update callback as soon as it handles the message. If your code relies on some data wrangling
update/2does, you can just directly call update instead:mortenlund
Hi, yes I can write such a function, and I have

Just thought it would be a nice addition to the standard library
And yes, you are right, my example was not very good, and after your example I am not so sure why I did not think of that