why

why

Hello,

on a LiveView page, I have a form whose single text input gets cleared when I click on a separate, unrelated div that uses phx-click.

I would like the input not to be affected by the phx-click, if possible. Is there a way to accomplish this, or is this a limitation in LiveView?

I pasted my code below. Steps to reproduce:

  1. Type some text (one or two sentences) into the input (without submitting)
  2. Click on the “click me” text
  3. Input field is now cleared
  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""

    Live Text: <%= @live_text%>

    <form phx-change="type_live" phx-submit="submit", placeholder="Type something...">
      <input type="text" name="q" value="<%= @query %>"/>
    </form>

    <div phx-click="test" phx-value-test="successfully clicked"><%= @test%></div>

    """
  end

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, query: nil, live_text: "", test: "click me")}
  end

  def handle_event("type_live", %{"q" => query}, socket)  do
    live_text = query
    {:noreply, assign(socket, live_text: live_text)}
  end

  def handle_event("submit", %{"q" => query}, socket) do
    {:noreply, assign(socket, query: query)}
  end

  def handle_event("test", %{"test" => test}, socket) do
    {:noreply, assign(socket, test: test)}
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 8

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @why you need to be capturing the form state via phx-change if there will be changes on the page. LiveView’s job is to render something based on the view state, and then make that rendered HTML happen on the client.

You are update the state on the server via phx-click, and so the live view re-renders with what it knows. It doesn’t know about the form state, so it clobbers it. The trick is to inform live view about the form state via phx-change.

why

why OP

Thanks @benwilson512.

I have phx-change="type_live" on the form, would that not be doing the trick to let LiveVIew know about the state of the form?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Oh sorry I missed that. Your issue is that the you’re binding type_live’s text to live_text but in the input type you do value="<%= @query %>". The assign used in the input should match the assign you’re storing the text in.

why

why OP

Cool, that fixed it! Thanks :slight_smile:

I now have:

def handle_event("type_live", %{"q" => query}, socket)  do
    live_text = query
    {:noreply, assign(socket, query: query, live_text: live_text)}
end

I think what threw me off is that it worked partially before. With each additional letter entered into the input (i.e. with each phx-change), and thus with each change of live_text in the assigns, LV successfully re-rendered the HTML in the place where @live_text is. So those re-renders worked without clearing the form, but the phx-click didn’t.

Any idea why it worked with phx-change, but not with phx-click?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I think this is because as you were typing, the text field had focus, and phoenix won’t overwrite a form field that is actively in focus and being typed in. Otherwise there would be race conditions between the text being entered and the server’s knowledge / re-rendering of the field being actively typed in. When you clicked on the div, the input lost focus and could be overwritten.

why

why OP

Ah, that makes a ton of sense, thanks!

Btw, the reason why I’m using the @live_text assign at all (rather than just @query) is that I wanted to be sure that phx-change isn’t somehow locally (via js) updating the value of @query. The data seemed to come back so incredibly quickly from the remote server that I wanted to be double sure… LV is pretty incredible…

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yeah it’s crazy stupid fast.

why

why OP

crazy stupid fast

:grinning:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews