H12

H12

Astro 3.0 dropped a few days ago and there seems to be a decent amount of hype in the broader webdev community around many of its new features.

This video provides a pretty extensive breakdown (and a lot of said hype).

Looking through the release, there seems to be some genuinely awesome stuff – support for the new View Transitions API and their story for Image Optimization via easy CDN integration seem particularly compelling.

As someone who loves Elixir/LiveView, but hasn’t had the chance to work extensively with either in a professional environment (yet), I’m curious to hear some thoughts from the more experienced members of the community…

How does LiveView today compare with Astro 3.0 (and perhaps the server-side JS world more broadly) in your eyes? Are there any features Astro now offers that you wish could be added to LiveView, or even features compelling enough to get you to switch? Is there any reason LiveView couldn’t (or shouldn’t) do everything Astro now does?

Personally, I’d almost certainly choose LiveView when I have complex needs on the back-end and want tight integration with the BEAM, but then (reluctantly) reach for something like Astro when I have a simpler back-end and care more about building a flashy front-end for my content.

Curious how y’all feel!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

scoop

scoop

I’m using Astro to generate the company and marketing website for a LiveView app :victory_hand:t2: Terrific experience and the combo for the different purposes fits great so for.

:otter:

kwando

kwando

Biggest drawback is that I would have to use JS/TS and all the other “fun” stuff that comes with that
:sweat_smile:

10
Post #2
H12

H12 OP

Nice! It’s cool to hear that both tools can be used side-by-side successfully.

So is Astro simple enough to use that context switching between it & LiveView isn’t much of a problem? Or do you have separate teams working on each?

H12

H12 OP

Oh I completely agree – tho I have to admit… Some of the transitions on their demo app just might be slick enough for me to take on a little bit of JS/TS pain :sweat_smile:

scoop

scoop

Well, the company and marketing site is so basic and simple, that thus far we’re talking about a mobile menu show/hide and a contact form validation.

Not having to do the whole React thing was so nice. The Astro components can be kept so simple. It’s more than enough for such a project. Getting started was easy peasy :lemon:

Coming from that angle, I myself wouldn’t have considered Astro over LiveView for anything else than a very simple use case. Others I guess would be more happy to do something more ambitious.

scoop

scoop

View transitions :heart_eyes:

cschmatzler

cschmatzler

Astro is explicitly not targeting the same group of projects as LiveView:

Astro was designed for building content-rich websites. This includes most marketing sites, publishing sites, documentation sites, blogs, portfolios, and some ecommerce sites.

By contrast, most modern web frameworks are designed for building web applications. These frameworks work best for building more complex, application-like experiences in the browser: logged-in admin dashboards, inboxes, social networks, todo lists, and even native-like applications like Figma and Ping.

kwando

kwando

Would it be feasible to use view transitions with live view? (I know next to nothing about how it works).

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

In theory nothing would prevent that. But afaik chris stance is that he won’t use features in LV, which are not available cross browser or are otherwise in draft status. But LV could provide callbacks to allow for manually adding view transitions.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews