derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Phoenix provides both Liveview and a traditional stateless view. It seems like many people have trouble naming the traditional view, and I’ve seen:

  • Dead view. This is a bad name as it has a negative connotation
  • Classic view: This is also bad because what if we have a newer tech down the road and liveview itself becomes classic?

Can I propose that we make an official name for the traditional view to reduce confusion? I’d like the name to be short, neutral and conveying technical meanings. How about:

  • Restview, REST means statelessness, and it is also short
  • HTTPview, It is just plain HTTP after all,
  • or something else?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d probably go with static views. They don’t change after being rendered. That’s what differenciates them from liveviews.

RESTView is imo not good, because not everything non live is REST.
HTTPView has the same problem, because not everything non live uses HTTP.

Case in point: Rendering html for emails. Not REST and SMTP for transfer.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Have you considered “view”? Or “PO(P)V” (plain old (phoenix) view)?

In my opinion it doesn’t make any sense to rename views just because we have an alternative for them.

We haven’t renamed supervisors just because someone introduced delayed supervisors with exponential back off, did we?

derek-zhou

derek-zhou OP

Good point; though in the case of rendering email, there is no liveview so there is no confusion.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

“Phoenix views” :+1:t2:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews