maltoe

maltoe

Hello :wave:

We have a small table-based index page based on LiveView, which displays (among other data) some timestamps in “relative” format using <relative-time> from GitHub - github/relative-time-element: Web component extensions to the standard <time> element. · GitHub.

This works great on first render but as soon as the table content is updated via the websocket, the time elements are re-rendered with their “fallback” content (the timestamp).

relative_time_bug

The markup is generated using this function:

def relative_time(datetime)
  {:ok, humanized} = MyApp.Cldr.DateTime.to_string(datetime, format: :short)
  content_tag(:"relative-time", humanized, datetime: to_string(datetime))
end

Does anyone have an idea? I’m pretty sure the web components aren’t initialized properly (i.e. some JS doesn’t run), but I wonder why that is?

Best,
malte

Showing Posts 1 to 7

maltoe

maltoe OP

phx-update: "ignore" does this trick, though I don’t understand why.

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/issues/285

kelvinst

kelvinst

Well, basically what you want to do is to create a phx-hook to re run the time-elements code when your nodes are updated by the websocket. Checkout the client hooks docs

kelvinst

kelvinst

phx-update: "ignore" tells the websocket to not update those elements anymore, that’s probably why that’s fixing, as the content to those tags is not changing.

maltoe

maltoe OP

:thinking: Yes, I get that, only these elements are in fact removed and re-rendered (see the list order change in the gif), on a paginated table it could even be entirely different values. So I’m wondering what part exactly isn’t updated anymore (shadow dom? but as said, these should be new DOM nodes as far as I can tell), or otherwise for what reason the phx-update changes anything. Or am I outdated and LV now has some magic “list reordering” logic that can re-order DOM nodes from a collection?

kelvinst

kelvinst

Hmmmmm, I’m not really sure, but I suspect that placing phx-update="ignore" on whatever tag is just going to guarantee that tag or its contents is not going to be changed anymore, or at least that is what I would expect to happen. But as far as I understood, you marked the individual datetime elements with that, and not the table that contains them, and what’s changing when you click to reorder is that table, not the actual date time elements, they stay the same, they are just moved around.

maltoe

maltoe OP

Yes, the phx-update="ignore" attributes went on the <relative-time> elements.

Looking at the ws packages it seems that LV is sending the entire table with each re-ordering, so I suppose the “moving around” of elements you describe is magic that happens in morphdom. That is quite impressive.

Thanks for your help!

maltoe

maltoe OP

:thinking: hmm I noticed something: When I manually (in the inspector) add an attribute to the <relative-time> element and then re-order the table, the attribute sticks with the element in that row, which leads me to believe morphdom is actually smart enough to replace only the <relative-time>'s content instead of re-creating the DOM node. Which would also explain why the JS doesn’t convert the timestamp (it is triggered when the web component is “connected” relative-time-element/src/relative-time-element.ts at 40f3d1abb9a1271607182704fa949b5867f94496 · github/relative-time-element · GitHub, but this event doesn’t fire). However, I now wonder even more how phx-update=ignore fixes it in this case. The content of these elements is clearly updated (I see the content change), but they are now correctly shown in relative time.

just for completeness: Tried it with paginated result set again (so elements are destroyed and re-created) and it works. The ordering link is a live_patch, if that matters.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews