giusdp

giusdp

I was wondering about migrating my liveview project to supabase from ecto/postgres. I know there are already some discussions about using supabase in this forum but they are mostly about praising supabase as a good fit for any solo dev project (which is my case), and none about approaches to use it in elixir.

Unfortunately there are no well maintained elixir libraries out there (only found supabase-elixir from 2 years ago) but then I saw that supabase also offers a graphql api on top of the database, so maybe I can just use any graphql client library. Searching for one I found Neuron, so I could use that to talk with supabase from liveview.

Is anyone here using a similar approach? Or what other approaches/stacks are you using with supabase?

I understand that moving the DB/backend to supabase means that liveview is being used only for the frontend but I don’t really want to use other languages or frameworks :sweat_smile: I’d prefer to keep using elixir.

I’m just curious about your thoughts and solutions about this!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

landm

landm

Supabase is just postgresql under the hood, you can connect directly to it. If you provide the connection params to your Phoenix app, it will work the same as if it were a local db with no extra work. Ecto, etc, all just work, except operating on a remote db.

In your case, I’m not sure what the benefit of supabase would be as you’re using liveview for frontend. I have one app that is run this way, but it is a primarily backend application which has frontends written in different languages (React/TS, etc) connecting to it. Supabase simplifies the experience for varied frontends.

giusdp

giusdp OP

I was attracted by the extra features of supabase so I wanted to try it (db editor, auth with social logins, serverless functions etc). I don’t know why I defaulted to “I can’t use ecto with it” though! So thanks. I will definitely keep using ecto.

I also would love to expand my app in the future with multiple frontends so I think starting out with a baas system would be the best… although I’m looking at liveview native for the future.

landm

landm

Yeah, the management features of supabase are great, db config and editor, etc. Also worth noting that Supabase uses Gotrue for social logins, which you can easily do the same in your phoenix app if that’s a determining factor. Anyway, if you plan to have non-phoenix frontends, I think going the supabase route is a good choice.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews