mikehostetler

mikehostetler

LLM DB - LLM Model Metadata Package

This package was extracted out of the ReqLLM project.

LLM DB is a model metadata catalog with fast, capability-aware lookups. Use simple "provider:model" or "model@provider" specs, get validated Provider/Model structs, and select models by capabilities. Ships with a packaged snapshot; no network required by default.

  • Primary interface: model_spec — a string like "openai:gpt-4o-mini" or "gpt-4o-mini@openai" (filename-safe)
  • Fast O(1) reads via :persistent_term
  • Minimal dependencies

Why?

When building ReqLLM, we implemented a model metadata system by pulling from https://models.dev. This worked well initially, but became challenging as we discovered various issues with LLM APIs. We submitted many PR’s upstream to models.dev, but they built their database for their purposes and it became obvious that our needs were diverging.

This package was extracted because it will have automated releases weekly to capture the latest model releases as quickly as possible.

It also standardizes the “model spec” - a unique string that can be used to address a specific model + provider combo. We support various spec formats.

For consumers, this package also supports filtering, local model definitions and a really nice allow/deny system so even when we have 1200 models in our database, but your app only wants to support 5, you can easily configure this.

Hex Release: llm_db | Hex
Github:

https://github.com/agentjido/llm_db

This package is part of the Agent Jido ecosystem.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

garrison

garrison

Extracting this is a good call. Seems like it will be quite useful on its own!

This is pure bikeshedding so I apologize in advance, but shouldn’t it be either LlmDb or LLMDB? :slight_smile:

mikehostetler

mikehostetler OP

Appreciate it!

This is pure bikeshedding so I apologize in advance, but shouldn’t it be either LlmDb or LLMDB ? :slight_smile:

Guilty - which is your preference? Naming stuff is really hard …

garrison

garrison

Definitely all caps for me. But I think that’s your preference too, since you used LLM DB multiple times in your own post. The version you reach for without thinking is always the right one :slight_smile:

I will also note there’s a reasonably well-known KV store named “LMDB”. Probably not an issue, though.

BartOtten

BartOtten

Love the extraction as this makes it easier for other projects to take advantage of the normalization and frequent pre compiled updates.

My wife begs to differ.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews