mudspot

mudspot

Hi,

Given an AshResource, how do I load data using raw sql statements?

PS. Use case: We have an existing sql load script that has complicated filter conditions what we don’t want to spend time rewriting in Ash Query

Best regards
Terry

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Are you looking to supply all of the data from the query? i.e “run a query, return list of resources” from that result? Or is it a calculation, like a SQL condition that should be run per-record? (i.e fragments, if you’re familiar with them in ecto.

mudspot

mudspot OP

I’m looking to supply all the data from the query. Basically I would like to do something like

users = MyResource.User
|> Ash.Query.... set_sql("SELECT * FROM users WHERE <legacy_complicated_condition>")
|> MyResource.read!

for user <- users, do: something(user)

PS. set_sql is the imaginary function I am looking for. (?)

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The way that you would implement this would be with a manual action:

read :your_legacy_thing do
  manual fn _ash_query, ecto_query, context -> 
    # my suggestion, in order to get the most bang for your buck, is to use Ecto
    # here, and *join* to the ecto_query we provide.
  end
end

If you’re familiar with Ecto, this should be doable. You can also use YourRepo.query! to run raw SQL, but you will have two major drawbacks of this:

  1. you will lose whatever logic Ash already did to honor the original request
  2. you will need to post-process the results into records (not that hard, typically just `Enum.map(…, struct!(Resource, &1))
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews