Sebb

Sebb

I want to load a json (list of objects) into list of structs in a module attribute.
Seems like I need three modules for that.

json

[
    {"foo": 1, "bar": 2},
    {"foo": 11, "bar": 22}
]

struct

defmodule Foo do
  defstruct [:foo, :bar]
end

load into struct, note that function in reality is too complex to be added to Foos/@foos - pipe

defmodule JsonLoader do
  def load_foos(foos) do
    Enum.map(foos, &struct(Foo, &1))
  end
end

module that stores the structs in a module attribute.

defmodule Foos do
  @foos File.read!("lib/foos.json") |> Jason.decode!(keys: :atoms) |> JsonLoader.load_foos()

  def get_foo(foo) do
    Enum.find(@foos, fn f -> f.foo == foo end)
  end
end

Is there way to bring all that into one module (Foo).

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There is not. You can neither execute functions of a module within its own module body nor create structs of the to be compiled module at compile time. Both the struct definition as well as the function will only be available once the module is fully compiled. At the time you provide the module attribute value the module is still being compiled.

The best you can do is 2 modules. One for the struct and one with the module attribute, by inlining the code of load_foos.

Sebb

Sebb OP

OK thank you. I expected that, just wanted to make sure. Often there is some magic hidden I do not know.

aziz

aziz

I’d like to challenge that claim. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

defmodule Foo do
  defstruct [:foo, :bar]

  @foos File.read!("lib/foos.json")
        |> Jason.decode!(keys: :atoms)
        |> Enum.map(&Map.put(&1, :__struct__, __MODULE__))

  def list do
    @foos
  end

  def equal? do
    @foos == [%Foo{bar: 2, foo: 1}, %Foo{bar: 22, foo: 11}]
  end
end

Foo.list() |> IO.inspect(label: "list()")
Foo.equal?() |> IO.inspect(label: "equal?()")

So you can’t use the struct function but that’s a small price to pay if you really want/need to do this. :wink:

Sebb

Sebb OP

nice. So you can use __MODULE__, but not %__MODULE__{}

@foos File.read!("lib/foos.json")
        |> Jason.decode!(keys: :atoms)
        |> Enum.map(fn foo -> %__MODULE__{foo: foo.foo, bar: foo.bar} end)

** (CompileError) lib/foos.ex:7: cannot access struct Foo, the struct was not yet defined or the struct is being accessed in the same context that defines it

Still, I’ll stay with the 3 Module approach, &Map.put(&1, :__struct__, __MODULE__) - looks a little cryptic and hacky. I also can’t inline the function that creates the struct because there is too much going on. (I could still preprocess the json, but I don’t want to do that).

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The first is just a dump alias for the current module name. The second is creating a struct, which does do things like checking keys, and such, which does fail without the struct being defined.

&Map.put(&1, :__struct__, __MODULE__) just uses knowledge about implementation details of structs to construct them without doing all the consistency checks structs have when being constructed otherwise.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews