Pbotsaris

Pbotsaris

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to deploy an app that uses Liveview uploads to save to both a local /uploads folder as well a S3 bucket. I guess I just wanted to test how both work! Anyway, the upload to S3 is working in production but I’m getting 404 on images after attempting to upload locally. I am deploying with Releases and when I build with images uploaded in dev, they are available in the local /upload folder. But I soon as I try to upload a new image while running the build I get a 404. Any ideas? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

sfusato

sfusato

How are you referencing the “local /uploads” folder in dev & prod environments?

Pbotsaris

Pbotsaris OP

Hey Sfusato,

the uploads folder is being referenced in the endpoint.ex together with the other static assets for both prod and dev:

 plug Plug.Static,
    at: "/",
    from: :labs,
    gzip: false,
    only: ~w(css fonts images js favicon.ico robots.txt uploads)

Do I need to a specific configuration for production?

sfusato

sfusato

What I meant is how are you passing the path to the location where to store the file?

Let’s say you are using File.cp(upload_source_file, destination_path) to store the file. I was asking about the value of destination_path.

Pbotsaris

Pbotsaris OP

Ah, sorry I miss understood you. I’m storing the images to priv/static/uploads

consume_uploaded_entries(socket, :avatar, fn meta, entry ->
dest = Path.join("priv/static/uploads", "#{entry.uuid}.#{ext(entry)}")
 File.cp!(meta.path, dest)
 end)
sfusato

sfusato

In the context of the local dev environment this works great, since the application is running from the project’s root folder. In prod, however, your application is running from within _build/prod/rel/..., thus why the file isn’t copied where you intended to when you pass a relative path.

Now, the uploads directory is pretty much a config concern, meaning I would personally prefer to have it in a config file rather than in a module’s function or a module’s attribute. For prod, pass the absolute path to it.

Example:

# dev.exs
config :labs, upload_path: "priv/static/uploads"
# prod.exs
config :labs, upload_path: "/var/www/labs/priv/static/uploads"

Retrieve it with Application.fetch_env!(:labs, :upload_path)

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

As already mentioned the priv directory is not always in the same place relative to the cwd. Use Application.app_dir(:my_app, "priv/static/uploads") instead, which will work in any environment.

Pbotsaris

Pbotsaris OP

Amazing, guys. Thank you so much for the explanation.

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

I just followed the instructions above, specifically replacing "priv/static/uploads" with Application.app_dir(:my_app, "priv/static/uploads"), and I still receive the error:

** (File.CopyError) could not copy from "/tmp/plug-1618/live_view_upload-1618951129-355143682828838-1" to "/home/runner/work/MyApp/MyApp/_build/test/lib/my_app/priv/static/uploads/ebeab0e5-115e-4ace-a6a7-776877c325f4.png": no such file or directory

I am running the code via GitHub Actions Elixir CI.

consume_uploaded_entries(socket, :avatar, fn meta, entry ->
  uploads_dir = Application.app_dir(:my_app, "priv/static/uploads")
  dest = Path.join(uploads_dir, filename(entry))
  File.cp!(meta.path, dest)
  Routes.static_path(socket, "/uploads/#{filename(entry)}")
end)
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Did you make sure the folder exists before trying to copy into it?

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Yes. The functionality is working fine in development. But then I wrote a unit test for the function, and it passes in my local test environment, but when I push the commit through CI (Github Actions), that test fails due to the aforementioned File.CopyError.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews