Ashkan

Ashkan

I am trying to use ex_cldr for localization. I want to use path parameters to change languages and it doesn’t work, but works with query parameters. Requesting http://localhost:4000/en will use fa as locale but http://localhost:4000/?locale=en uses en.

I have added this to the endpoint.ex:

plug Cldr.Plug.SetLocale,
    apps: [:cldr, :gettext],
    from: [:path, :query],
    gettext: MyAppWeb.Gettext,
    cldr: MyApp.Cldr

This is the cldr module:

defmodule MyApp.Cldr do
  use Cldr,
    locales: ["en", "fa"],
    default_locale: "fa",
    gettext: MyAppWeb.Gettext
end

And my routes:

scope "/:locale" do
  pipe_through [:browser, :simple_layout]

  pow_routes()
end

scope "/:locale", MyAppWeb do
  pipe_through :browser

  get "/", PageController, :index
end

scope "/:locale/admin", MyAppWeb do
  pipe_through [:browser, :protected, :admin_layout]
end

scope "/" do
  pipe_through [:browser, :simple_layout]

  pow_routes()
end

scope "/", MyAppWeb do
  pipe_through :browser

  get "/", PageController, :index
end

scope "/admin", MyAppWeb do
  pipe_through [:browser, :protected, :admin_layout]
end

Showing Posts 1 to 9

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

@ashkan, I’m the author - I’ll take a look and see if there’s an issue. Feel free to open an issue at https://github.com/elixir-cldr/cldr/issues

Can you confirm that you are using Phoenix version >= 1.3? path_params was added then and its what the plug uses for locale detection in paths.

Ashkan

Ashkan OP

I am using phoenix 1.5.

I am not sure If I understand correctly but phoenix is able to detect the parameter, this is what I saw in server logs Parameters: %{"locale" => "en"} when I request http://localhost:4000/en and path_params: %{"locale" => "en"} is in conn. I have from: [:path, :query] in SetLocale plug. All ex_cldr variables in conn are set to use fa. I don’t know how to further investigate that.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Wold you kindly check that you have Cldr.Plug.SetLocale configured after plug :match in your endpoint? plug :match is what populates the path_params and therefore its important Plug.Cldr.SetLocale comes after that.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s no explicit plug :match in phoenix.

Ashkan

Ashkan OP

There is no plug :match in my endpoint

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Ahhhhhh. OK, in the case I’m looking for help too :slight_smile:

Is there a way to have a user plug run after plug :match and before plug :dispatch or Phoenix equivalents?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Clearly demonstrating my lack of Phoenix knowledge. But it looks like you would need to put Cldr.Plug.SetLocale in your pipeline, not the endpoint. Possible you can try that? As best I can tell from the docs, the pipeline is not run unless a route is found - and I believe when a route is found that path_params is decoded.

So, for example:

  pipeline :browser do
    plug :fetch_session
    plug :accepts, ["html"]
    plug Cldr.Plug.SetLocale, 
      apps: [:cldr, :gettext],
      from: [:path, :query],
      gettext: MyAppWeb.Gettext,
      cldr: MyApp.Cldr
  end
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s true. Pipelines are run after a route is matched, as the matched route determines which pipelines need to run.

Ashkan

Ashkan OP

Thanks that worked.

P.S.
You were right path_params was empty at that point in endpoint. I used another plug to test that. Previously I have check it near the end of processing pipeline.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews