RobertoSchneiders

RobertoSchneiders

I used the mix phx.gen.auth to generate the basic authentication system for my LiveView app. I’m following this security model documentation and one thing I can’t get right at the moment is the disconnect all instances of a live user.

When a user logs out in one browser tab, everything works fine in that tab and sure enough, the other tabs/live view sessions are immediately disconnected, however, on those additional tabs the loading top bar and the “We can’t find the internet. Attempting to reconnect” message is shown. It stays on the screen for about 10s before the redirect is made and the “You must log in to access this page” error is displayed.

I was expecting the redirect to happen immediately and I wasn’t expecting any “attempting to reconnect” messages to show up in this situation.

Is this expected behavior?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

BradS2S

BradS2S

The section Disconnecting all instances of a live user is going to be helpful.

Phoenix LiveView uses a heartbeat to monitor the websocket connection so when the websocket disconnects, it gives you an error.

So what you do is broadcast to all subscribed live users that they are disconnected.

MyAppWeb.Endpoint.broadcast("users_socket:#{user.id}", "disconnect", %{})
adw632

adw632

But that is what he is doing because he used phx.gen.auth:

Note: If you use mix phx.gen.auth to generate your authentication system, lines to that effect are already present in the generated code. The generated code uses a user_token instead of referring to the user_id.

It seems the websocket connection handling in liveview javascript is a bit flakey, even on mobile browsers almost always show that annoying “can’t find the internet”, especially when you switch tabs and come back or open and close the device.

Why the need to display this jarring housekeeping message is beyond me, it tarnishes all liveview sites IMO.

RobertoSchneiders

RobertoSchneiders OP

I found a better solution.

Instead of broadcasting the “Disconnect” event I’m subscribing and broadcasting to a reload event that forces a full page reload instead of disconnecting the socket. I left more details in this post

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews