xadhoom

xadhoom

I’ve published to hex Logbook, our Logger wrapper that’we use on a couple of rather big projects. Has been around since early 2019, but just now added to hex.pm

GitHub Repo: GitHub - VoiSmart/logbook: Another opinionated logger for Elixir, with the addition of tag/module based logging. · GitHub
Docs: Logbook — logbook v4.0.0
Hex.pm: logbook | Hex

Basically is a Logger wrapper that adds categories (or tags) to each logger entry, and each tag can have it’s own log level. As a bonus, module names are automatically tracked as tags and a specific log level can be set for them, too.

Intended usage: activate a specific log level for a specific module only, or a specific log level for a tag (or a group of tags) that may spread across different modules.

By design, the “global” Elixir Logger level still wins: you cannot activate a debug level for a tag and have it emitted if the global Logger level is higher (set on :error for example). But if all the codebase uses Logbook instead of Logger this is not really a problem.

We built it because on our large application, we have different subsystems running, and just enabling a more verbose logger level is a no-go, since too many logs are emitted and is difficult to follow what is going on (or puts too much pressure on the Logger reducing overall performances). With Logbook we can nail down what we want to see and investigate more freely.

The library is pretty solid, is running in production on several systems since the beginning.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hauleth

hauleth

Since Elixir 1.10 you can do it on per-module basis via:

:logger.set_module_level(Mod, level)

And since 1.11 it is also exposed via Logger API as:

Logger.put_module_level(Mod, level)

There are also 2 “meta levels” :all and :none. Their behaviour should be rather obvious.

Also similar thing can be achieved via setting :domain in metadata and then using :logger.add_primary_filter/2.

xadhoom

xadhoom OP

Thanks! This was done before 1.10 so was needed. But I think now we can leverage on the official APIs for the module level part.

Well, like above we started with v1.9. But still, having to dynamically filter based on the :domains (currently we keep track of that on a ETS table) means doing something similar to what we already do (attach/remove a filter on the fly). Still, I’m not sure if the :domains means the sames as tags, I see tags more specific inside a domain.

Said that, since we now require Elixir v1.11+ in Logbook v2, I think something can be adapted to use the official APIs, especially for the module parts.

thanks for pointers!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews