fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’ve used Logger.metadata before (along the lines of this post), but I’m having some trouble making it work from within a Mix task.

Assuming the following in my config:

config :logger, :console,
  level: :debug,
  format: "[$level] $message [metadata] $metadata\n",
   metadata: [:foo]

and a run/1 function in a custom mix task like so:

  def run(opts) do
    {:ok, _} = Application.ensure_all_started(:my_app)
    Logger.metadata(foo: "XZ")
    Logger.info("wtf?")
  end

I would expect the log output to be something like this:

08:42:30.012 [info] wtf? [metadata] state=XZ

That’s what I get when I try this inside iex, but instead, it only outputs the message:

08:42:30.012 [info]  wtf?

Can someone explain this? Does have something to do with the metadata only applying to the current process?

Thanks, as always!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

ityonemo

ityonemo

Mix tasks don’t load config.exs by default, I believe, for performance purposes. You have to load those configurations explicitly if you want them.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Would you recommend doing it via

Mix.Task.run("loadconfig")

?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You can set the flag like this too…

Logger.info("wtf?", foo: "XZ")
fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

I still can’t get metadata showing for things I launch via a Mix task…

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Thanks! Usually I use the simple form like this, but the beauty of calling Logger.metadata() is that you can establish a context for upcoming log messages before execution is routed deep into functions. It’s especially valuable when you can send log messages with that metadata from functions that don’t have that data in scope. It was a mind-blowing experience for me to discover that Elixir did this – I remember so many code refactors done just to pass variables around for the sake of logging! So it’s frustrating that this isn’t working (yet) in my Mix tasks…

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Did you try the load config task?

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Yes, I tried including the Mix.Task.run("loadconfig") in my Mix task’s run/1 function, but the formatting and the metadata config is still ignored.

hauleth

hauleth

mix loadconfig will not affect running Logger. Unfortunately @fireproofsocks need to do it “manually” as IIRC there is no option to “reload” application environment.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Dumb question: how to load config files “manually”? Code — Elixir v1.20.2 ?

hauleth

hauleth

No. I mean that changes in application environment will not be reflected in logger configuration unless explicitly done so. You need to use Logger.configure/1 to apply configuration.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews