OrontaMedu

OrontaMedu

In a project there’ll be lots of background tasks run by DynamicSupervisor.

Each task will be making network requests to an external service and is expected to run for a few or 10-20 minutes. And a task will need to save a result into a DB.

The way a task makes an network request could be in one of 2 ways:
(1) via an Elixir library – ExternalLib.make_request(a, b, c)
(2) via an non-Elixir library (in Rust): System.cmd("external_utility", [a, b, c])

Note that both (1) and (2) are black-boxes – they may not be modified. They may only be used.

The (2) in this case is more flexible, faster, more properly implemented and generally is preferable – compared to (1).

Question: from the point of view of Elixir, background tasks, ability to run, manage them, get a return result and so on … – could the Elixir library (1) be better still than the non-Elixir one (2)?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

D4no0

D4no0

Are you willing to sacrifice all the benefits of elixir for some performance? If yes then go with 2.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Yes. With external programs you have to marshall communication in both directions. Staying with elixir means you don’t need to do that.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not sure you can have something be faster when it hits the network. The CPU is just waiting for a response.

And in your case you don’t even have a Rust library to call in-process, you have an external tool.

I’d say stick to Elixir unless the Rust tool is bringing critically important benefits.

jarmo

jarmo

You can use Oban for running background jobs in Elixir. Can’t see any reason why this might be a bad choice.

OrontaMedu

OrontaMedu OP

Which benefits? Why sacrifise in this case?

OrontaMedu

OrontaMedu OP

What’s "Rust library to call in-process, "? Calling Rust via NIF and Rustler?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yes, exactly that.

OrontaMedu

OrontaMedu OP

The job that the exteranl utility in Rust or Elixir library will do is to send several network requests. As well as returning a result to the calling Elixir code which then will be saved into a DB.
There’ll be no computation.

Do you claim implemeting it via NIF and Rustler would still be better than calling it as an utility via System.cmd(...) ?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am prone to being preachy and absolutist sometimes so maybe I am not the best person to give an answer… but I am leaning to “yes”.

To me calling something in-process has less things that can go wrong. Though seriously, tools that are well-behaved are probably just as safe. (“Well-behaved” in this instance means “they respect shell conventions when having to stream data in/out from/to stdin/stdout”).

Of course I’d also seriously consider just doing the whole thing in Elixir if I can get away with it. As mentioned above, disk or network I/O are 1000x more time-expensive compared to CPU-intensive tasks so who cares if your code that will need 350ms to get back an answer from an external server is written in Rust, Go, Haskell or even Ada or Brainfuck?

Even more supporting my conclusion then. I/O-bound tasks can be written in whatever. You don’t need Rust for that; Rust is for when you need every last bit of performance and minimal memory pressure.

OrontaMedu

OrontaMedu OP

Nobody cares. But that’s not the reason of the utility being written in Rust, for it – the external utility in Rust – itself depends on yet other libraries which do exist in Rust and don’t in Elixir. Or at least in Elixir some of them aren’t mature, up to date and maintaned.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews