lud
Hi,
I need to run some code (including database drop and recreate) for a staging setup. This has to be done after the application supervisor is initialized, because some children are required to be alive before this long code is ran (K8S probes).
The rest of the children of the top supervisor must not be started before the initialization code has ran, because those children will use data setup by this code.
So I cannot use a Task here, as the execution is asynchronous. I abused a GenServer’s init/1 callback to run the code:
defmodule SyncTask do
use GenServer
def child_spec(opts) do
case opts[:id] do
nil -> super(opts)
id -> Supervisor.child_spec(super(opts), id: {__MODULE__, id})
end
end
def start_link(opts) do
GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, Map.new(opts))
end
def init(%{once: true, id: id, call: f}) when id not in [nil, :undefined] do
pkey = {__MODULE__, id}
case :persistent_term.get(pkey, nil) do
nil ->
f.()
:persistent_term.put(pkey, :ran)
:ignore
:ran ->
:ignore
end
end
def init(%{once: true}) do
raise ArgumentError, "the once: true option requires the :id option to be set"
end
def init(%{call: f}) do
f.()
:ignore
end
end
And so I use it like this in when starting the application supervisor:
@impl true
def start(_type, _args) do
children =
:lists.flatten([
k8s_stack(),
{SyncTask, call: fn -> before_start() end, once: true, id: :before_start},
db_stack(),
app_stack(),
endpoint_stack()
])
opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
end
It seems to work well, but I guess it is not really idiomatic. What would you do?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mpope
Unless I am misunderstanding your usecase, his can be done async. You’re task or genserver has the ability to run the databse init, then after it is finished it can add the dependent processes to the supervisor using Supervisor.start_child/2. This will avoid the use of persistent term or ets for coordination. The async Task or GenServer can be added to the supervision tree as well, to ensure that it runs successfully and retry on error. This could be a good use of a DynamicSupervisor, but if the processes are static (only kicked off once at startup), maybe a regular Supervisor will do the trick.
stefanchrobot
I’d keep the approach that you’ve used since it actually seems you need a synchronous init.