marcojulian

marcojulian

My Elixir application needs to connect with a MySQL database and listen for insert and updates in certain tables, does anyone know about a library that makes this easier? I would use WalEx or Cainophile but they are intended for PostgreSQL DBs.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

D4no0

D4no0

The MySQL driver doesn’t seem to support this functionality, so I don’t think you will have much luck finding other libraries around, unless you want to fork it and add your functionality there somehow.

I think your best bet is to use ports to integrate with another language that has support for listening for events, like IDK Java or maybe something more lightweight.

joerichsen

joerichsen

Hi

You could use Port — Elixir v1.20.2 with the stdout option of https://maxwells-daemon.io/

I have this proof of concept code that might get you started

defmodule MaxwellListener do
  use GenServer

  # Adjust the command to include the full executable path if necessary
  @command "maxwell"
  @args [
    "--user='maxwell'",
    "--password='XXXXXX'",
    "--host='127.0.0.1'",
    "--filter='exclude: *.*, include: holdsport.users, include: holdsport.teams_users'",
    "--producer=stdout"
  ]

  def start_link(opts \\ []) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, :ok, opts)
  end

  def init(:ok) do
    command_with_args = Enum.join([@command | @args], " ")
    options = [:binary, :exit_status]
    port = Port.open({:spawn, command_with_args}, options)
    {:ok, %{port: port}}
  end

  def handle_info({port, {:data, data}}, state) do
    process_output(data)
    {:noreply, state}
  end

  def handle_info({:EXIT, _port, _reason}, state) do
    # Handle port exit
    {:stop, :normal, state}
  end

  defp process_output(data) do
    data
    |> String.trim_trailing()
    |> Jason.decode!(keys: :atoms)
    |> handle()
  end

  defp handle(%{table: "teams_users", data: %{users_id: user_id}}) do
    IO.inspect(user_id, label: "User ID")
  end

  defp handle(d) do
    IO.inspect(d, limit: :infinity)
  end
end
marcojulian

marcojulian OP

Thank you! I will give it a try

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews