coen.bakker

coen.bakker

Studying LiveView codebases is part of my journey to become a better (LiveView) dev. I have been studying LiveBeats, LiveBook and a number of codebases for Fly.io blogs. It’s fairly easy to find new open source projects to study. I can’t always tell if I should copy practices from those code bases or not. Simply because I am at a level where I cannot always tell good practices from not-so-good practices.

Are there any open-source projects that you can recommend? Projects that you think are good learning sources for some one that:

  • Has been using Phoenix/LiveView (almost) daily for at least a year (4-7 hours per day)
  • Has limited dev experience prior to starting to use Phoenix/LiveView (JS and Vue)
  • Is comfortable with options of Phoenix/LiveView, but needs to get better at building robust, clean and well-maintainable code

P.S. In the title I use the term intermediate level. Not sure how I qualify and fairly sure that the term is used loosely.

P.P.S. Although I have been studying LiveBook’s codebase, I definitely am not at that level of practice yet. Clearly. Plenty goes over my head.

Edit: There are some big differences in coding style between for example LiveBeats and this codebase (Fly.io blog post). Being able to compare has been super useful.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

coen.bakker

coen.bakker OP

In case it’s helpful for any fellow learners, I’ll post some options myself also. Options that I think look promising.

I found this repo just now. GitHub - puemos/overbooked: Overbooked is a self-hosted flexible workplace platform for indie co-working owners. · GitHub

Kin

Kin

I am in the process of trying Liveview but unfortunately I won’t continue because of the lag I experience and I haven’t experienced with Next. I can’t explain it but it feels very different if you click around in a Next app and a Phoenix app - and both of them get stuff from the DB after the click.

Phoenix feels laggy somehow. In a weird unpleasant way something between unresponsiveness and laggy feeling.

I noticed that I click on some links multiple times because I think the first time it haven’t registered the click, but it just was slow.

Anybody has similar experience with this “lag” feeling when you click around in Phoenix?

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

This should be in its own thread, but no, when I am doing dev work, the results are instantaneous and snappy. When deploying, the results are dependent on the distance from your machine to the server, I recently deployed on a server that is 7500km away (ping time is 175ms), and I can barely notice a lag in the responses from the live views on the server.

If you are developing on a remote server, that would explain the lag. Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s a Phoenix problem.

If you want to feel how fast a LiveView response can be, try out my toy project:

Each question does a round trip to the server. Again, there is pretty much no lag for me. So if you’re experiencing issues, it’s a problem with your device or connection.

Kin

Kin

I usually don’t change 2 letters on the website. Try page navigation, pagination, search, bigger changes. Pheonix will feel slow.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Feel free to start a new thread to air your grievances. I am sure the community would be happy to help you address your specific concerns.

sabit990928

sabit990928

I don’t have much as most of my own projects are private, but I’ll try to check my bookmarks to share if there anything interesting. Did you find anything else? I also like looking around the repo and see decision making process. Especially after phoenix and liveview version updates.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews