jdumont

jdumont

Hey all,

I’ve been learning Elixir for a while now, and have used Phoenix to build a few simple apps, but feel like I’m not really breaking out of “tutorial-mode” where I’m either just following guides, or doing really trivial stuff.

I think trying to get to grips with a project that other, more experienced Elixir developers are working on too could really help get me past this plateau I seem to be stuck on. If there are any open source projects around that I could help on, whilst learning, I’d be really interested in getting stuck in!

In terms of my history, I’ve built reasonably complex apps before with Node/JS, but Elixir and it’s best practises are obviously very different. I’ve never contributed to OS before either, so that might be a learning curve, but I feel that OS has given me such a leg-up in these early years of my career, that I’d like to start trying to contribute back to it if I can.

So anyone need an extra set of hands on a project?

Cheers, Jamie.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

AstonJ

AstonJ

Have a look here Jamie:

:023:

jdumont

jdumont OP

Thanks very much! That’s exactly the sort of list I was after!

grych

grych

Creator of Drab
bglusman

bglusman

@jdumont depending on whether you’re more interested in Elixir libraries or contributing to/working on a large Phoenix code base, my side project is looking for help growing beyond single-maintainer and adding/changing some features based on live tests with first real world users as well as growing to multiple locations/organizations. It’s a nice social-good/pro-bono application that helps me feel good about some of what I do with my open source time anyway!

It’s a tool for small to medium size pantry programs/food banks, to help give food recipients choice in what they receive while following USDA guidelines about balanced diets etc.

The code is currently hosted here GitHub - openpantry/open_pantry: A management system for pantry programs to help people eat healthy meals with dignity · GitHub (may move to its own github org, I know the org name now is a mouthful) and people can see a demo of the production app (such as it is) in “guest user” mode with no ability to take actions here open-pantry.herokuapp.com/en/food_selections (will probably move domain to openpantry.io when we get around to it, help welcome but low priority). Drop me a line if you need help getting set up (there’s a branch that I want one person to use successfully before I merge in, removing a postgis requirement that I stupidly put in while prototyping in early days, so anyone setting up on that branch and reporting success or issues would be welcome)

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Oooo I didn’t know bors-ng is an Elixir project! That is awesome! I use that thing! :smiley:

notriddle

notriddle

Cool! What for? Maybe @jdumont would want to contribute to that :smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Just as a github bot. ^.^

notriddle

notriddle

I mean what repos?

vic

vic

Asdf Core Team

You might want to look at some of my elixir libraries, some of them are looking for maintainers (I’m not abandoning them, just want some help with handling issues/PRs as I’ll be likely be in a months-long trip by the end of year and then will be back). So If you find something interesting to you, you are more than welcome to be part of it.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews