phanendery

phanendery

Hey! Im working on this problem where I have to create a function in Phoenix where I run it in the IEX with a string, itll show that string on multiple browser windows (which are opened to that port that the server is running on). I have received hints that I might have to use LivewView or PubSub. I am just wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to implement this!

Showing Posts 11 to 20

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The alias of the endpoint… Something like YourAppWeb.Endpoint. This module would be in file lib/your_app_web/endpoint.ex

Oh… by the way, test files are not compiled, First they are in test folder, second exs are for elixir script files and are not meant to be compiled.

Rename it to ex, put it in lib and it will be compiled…

Some people add a lib/mock folder, where they put tests/seeds files.

phanendery

phanendery OP

defmodule Test do
 
  def broadcast(message) do
    Test.Endpoint.broadcast!("room:lobby", "new_msg", %{body: message})
  end
end

I cant seem to find the correct alias. So this file is located in lib/test.ex , which is not located in the lib/test_web folder. I believe I am calling Endpoint the wrong way because it is still saying its undefined, I cant seem to access any file in this module from the IEX , I tried using a simple IO.puts as well and it says the function is defined.

:o Should I change the name from test to practice or something? I just used the name test for example sake!

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Well, what is the name You gave to your phoenix application?

phanendery

phanendery OP

I named it test!

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

try this

$ mix phx.new phanendery
$ cd phanendery
$ cat lib/phanendery_web/endpoint.ex
phanendery

phanendery OP

Should I do this in a new folder?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

yes, as a new test project

phanendery

phanendery OP

defmodule PhanenderyWeb.Endpoint do
  use Phoenix.Endpoint, otp_app: :phanendery

  socket "/socket", PhanenderyWeb.UserSocket,
    websocket: true,
    longpoll: false

  # Serve at "/" the static files from "priv/static" directory.
  #
  # You should set gzip to true if you are running phx.digest
  # when deploying your static files in production.
  plug Plug.Static,
    at: "/",
    from: :phanendery,
    gzip: false,
    only: ~w(css fonts images js favicon.ico robots.txt)

  # Code reloading can be explicitly enabled under the
  # :code_reloader configuration of your endpoint.
  if code_reloading? do
    socket "/phoenix/live_reload/socket", Phoenix.LiveReloader.Socket
    plug Phoenix.LiveReloader
    plug Phoenix.CodeReloader
  end

  plug Plug.RequestId
  plug Plug.Telemetry, event_prefix: [:phoenix, :endpoint]

  plug Plug.Parsers,
    parsers: [:urlencoded, :multipart, :json],
    pass: ["*/*"],
    json_decoder: Phoenix.json_library()

  plug Plug.MethodOverride
  plug Plug.Head

  # The session will be stored in the cookie and signed,
  # this means its contents can be read but not tampered with.
  # Set :encryption_salt if you would also like to encrypt it.
  plug Plug.Session,
    store: :cookie,
    key: "_phanendery_key",
    signing_salt: "mvWhNNeR"

  plug PhanenderyWeb.Router
end

This was the response in the terminal to that last command

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

And this is your endpoint module…

The alias You should use is

PhanenderyWeb.Endpoint
phanendery

phanendery OP

Back to my orginal project , I used this as my alias

defmodule Test do
  alias TestWeb

  def broadcast(message) do
    Endpoint.broadcast!("room:lobby", "new_msg", %{body: message})
  end
end

Does this look correct? Maybe I can trying the wrong commands in the iex shell?

I seemed to have been in the wrong directory sorry for the confusion! This is my current error when I run it, believe it is the wrong alias

iex(1)> Test.broadcast("hello")
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Endpoint.broadcast!/3 is undefined (module Endpoint is not available)
    Endpoint.broadcast!("room:lobby", "new_msg", %{body: "hello"})

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews