phanendery
Hey! Im working on this problem where I have to create a function in Phoenix where I run it in the IEX with a string, itll show that string on multiple browser windows (which are opened to that port that the server is running on). I have received hints that I might have to use LivewView or PubSub. I am just wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to implement this!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
axelson
Seems like a very specific problem statement!
I think you’d be well served using Phoenix Channels along with your Endpoint’s broadcast/3 function.
phanendery
Hi!
I was wondering if you maybe give me some more steps to follow? I am pretty new to this and would like to understand on how I would get this rolling!
patrickdm
Channels seems a good solution for your requirements, I’d suggest you to make a fresh new project in order to learn about them, in isolation. (you dont need a db / ecto for that.)
Enjoy the challenge!
@axelson linked the guide, which is the must-read starting point and contains a very clear tutorial. With it I’d say you’re half way through
phanendery
I ended up setting up a simple channel chat room following the guide but I am stuck on if I create a broadcast (message) function in my test.ex, how would i connect this function to my channel to display message on my browser window?
wolfiton
Does this help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqUy3nsXfg?
Also this elixirgirls.com — Domain For Sale for $2,788 | Unstoppable Domains
phanendery
This video seems to be going over the working chat I have already created. So how would I send a message from my server and make it display on my browser window?
kokolegorille
Usually You would use the endpoint to broadcast anywhere from Phoenix…
But in your case, You might as well create a channel, and use Phoenix pubsub directly.
What I usually do is create a notifier module, like this…
I can use this module from my server.
phanendery
Here is my socket.js file in my phoenix app
This is Room Channel handling the topics
Right now I can open up multiple pages and chat message and it will show on both browsers. What I want to be able to do is make the function shown in the code below to be able to display that message in my channel:
kokolegorille
Probably like this… (with the correct alias to your Endpoint)
The first parameter is the topic, then the message type, then the payload. This correspond to…
phanendery
This makes so much more sense, I feel like I was missing a simple step! I do have on error tho, how can I check my correct Alias because when I do call my function Test.broadcast in the iex I am getting this error: