eskil

eskil

Hello elixir friends,

I’ve been playing around with luerl recently, and generally, it’s been trouble-free; straight-forward and easy to use; works well with elixir.

The corner case I ran into is when fetching function tables from lua. I can call the returned function but I cannot find a way to thread through the lua state.

Given this example lua;

function get_function_table()
  table = {}
  table["increment"] = increment
  return table
end

state = 0
function increment()
  state = state + 1
  print("state is "..state)
  return state
end

And this elixir code;

# setup state, load script etc.
lua_state = :luerl.init()
script = File.read!("sample.lua")
{:ok, chunk, lua_state} = :luerl.load(script, lua_state)
{_, lua_state} = :luerl.do(chunk, lua_state)

# get the function table and call whatever "increment" points to
{[lua_map], _lua_state} = :luerl.call_function([:get_function_table], [], lua_state)
ex_map = Map.new(lua_map)
function = ex_map["increment"]
[number] = function.([]) # How can lua_state be threaded through?

It calls “increment”. But since the lua_state isn’t threaded through, side effects are lost. I cannot find a way to pass through the state.

function is a #Function with arity /1, and it’s env seems to include the lua state at the time get_function_table was called.

I’ve read through the luerl code to try and figure out how to accomplish this since I assume that internally it must be doing something similar in luerl_emul.erl. But I haven’t been able to figure it out.

There are workarounds, such as returning the function name as a string instead. But I’m curious about this.

My question is; is there a supported way in luerl, to call function and thread through the lua state?

There’s a complete example escript at https://github.com/eskil/luerl_map_to_function that demonstrates it.

Thanks!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews