Sebb

Sebb

Exited to see the good progress the team made!

Here is the talk:

It is now becoming more clear for me what LVN will become. Right now if you look at the docs you get the impression that you’ll have to build templates for all clients in parallel. But Brian points out that we may soon have a “singular styling framework” (29:30) for all clients.

It’s still a little hard to imagine. When looking at the examples he gives in the video at 26:30, we see that the bold-class is manually implemented in a function. The very different approaches to styling the different clients take, will also be a challenge. swiftui modifiers being one and what more surprises will the others bring?

Anyway - if they find a way - this will be amazing. And this will answer the key question he brings up at the end (48:45): Will it be cheaper?. Right now I can build an app for all the platforms using flutter. That’s including embedded-linux. No other tool can do that now (in this quality). So when I get an estimate now for an app that runs on

  • web
  • Android
  • i/mac/tv-OS
  • linux

Brian will not be able to be 40% cheaper than flutter. But I think that if LVN can provide all the clients one needs it will be even more than 40% cheaper, especially if you got a small Elixir-focused team.

It also seems to me, with the LVN-approach it will eventually be easier to support more clients than flutter. For example it seems feasible to create a Qt Quick Ultralite client which would enable LVN on very small microcontrollers (flutter cant and never will).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews