Mac OS Catalina issues?

Since it looks like the Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release is officially scheduled for “any day now”, has anybody been using the catalina betas, and if so, have you run into any issues with your BEAM applications?

2 Likes

I just upgraded to the live and now officially released version.

Zero issues but, as always, after such an upgrade you have to run xcode-select --install in your terminal before being able to compile stuff.

4 Likes

Also if you use Little Snitch you need to update that before updating to Catalina.

This upgrade might be a little rougher than before. 32-bit apps will no longer run which means a few things will be broken for me that I still need like wine (which is critical for me as I rely on a Windows CLI app), lazarus/object pascal, epson scanner drivers, and a few old games.

If you check out your System Report… (from the apple/about menu) and go to Software…Legacy Software you can see all your installed 32-bit software which will no longer work.

I do expect BEAM/Elixir should run with no problems as usual though.

2 Likes

I was told by an acquaintance who works at Apple not to update yet…

3 Likes

Everything seems to work but installing erlang with asdf fails for me.

see: https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf-erlang/issues/116

3 Likes

Wish I saw your post before upgrading :sob:

It’s been a nightmare, first it went through the upgrade process then on reboot said there was not enough space to complete the upgrade, so enter terminal delete some folders try again, same! Hook up another Mac in target mode, delete more (just personal files nothing from the system itself) and it finally finishes… but my account is empty :icon_eek: :icon_rolleyes:

So now having to do a clean install and restore via a time machine back up - which is a few days old (I didn’t think anything would go wrong, as I’ve never had a problem with an upgrade before).

Apple are not in my good books atm :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I had the same issue with around 70 gigs of free space! I also deleted a bunch of stuff but to no avail. I just gave up and restored a backup. I should have known better, why would I upgrade on the day of the release? :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Sounds like a common issue - what’s the odds of it happening to both of us :101:

Apple have gone pants recently :lol:

…come to the Linux-side… ^.^

3 Likes

I’m so tempted!!!

(Just not got time to learn a whole new OS atm - wonder if you Linux pros could maybe write up some guides :blush:)

2 Likes

I’d start with something easy and well supported like Kubuntu or so. Latte dock would even give you back the Mac style doc (though with more functionality). You can make KDE look like anything. ^.^

2 Likes

Slightly worrying. I updated 2 machines within a couple of hours of the release and thankfully had no issues at all. I had about 170gb free on the fuller one which is a fair bit, regardless if it is an issue that is related to space then the cutoff must be somewhere below that.

1 Like

Thanks - I will definitely look into it one day @OvermindDL1 :003:

@mindriot - I definitely don’t have that much free space :lol: but it normally tells you before it starts if you don’t have enough :man_shrugging: Glad yours was trouble free tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

It normally does and the 70gb @LOG67 mentioned is way over anything I’ve ever seen in the past. It probably takes more than average because it moves the core system into a read only volume, but even then that seems pretty mental to me.

1 Like

Usually I like to upgrade on the same day (and never had serious issues) as the changes are usually incremental but not this time! Not only the loss of 32-bit apps but things like https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf-erlang/issues/116 are worrisome. Also they’ve been locking down the platform each release recently with things like SIP, more Vista style UAC-like dialogs, locking partitions with system files, etc. These changes are causing more headaches with power tools and automation/applescript issues to sort through.

Also I second Overmind on the Kubuntu recommendation as a beautiful/slick and very easy-to-use distro for Mac users. I like developing with it under VMWare Fusion occasionally… you can use that or Parallels/Virtualbox to play with it extensively before deciding to make the leap. Another benefit when developing this way (for me at least) is my dev and prod can both be u1804 simplifying life.

Going to let them get 10.15.1 out the door in a month or so then re-assess. They haven’t pissed me off enough yet I guess and don’t want to lose the cloud platform integration with iMessage, Photos, iTunes, Contacts, etc on iPhones and iPads.

4 Likes

I am not arguing that Linux can be less hassle-free than macOS. But, you know, homebrew and Retina screens. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed that on reformatting - it has an additional volume named the same but with - data appended. I think it was 50GB too, and probably why they decided to just delete all my files. So annoying that they didn’t take more care.

I am probably going to leave it until I’m ready to get a new machine now I think. I’m deciding between a 6-core Mini or the new 16" MBPs that are meant to be coming out. I’m also reluctant to switch to Linux because of the same reasons as you - syncing between Apple devices. Even ‘little’ things like when a service provider sends you a text message code to log-in the Mac and it gets automatically picked up and filled into the form, or when someone calls and their name shows up on your screen, etc.

Can’t you use similar screens on Linux?

I used to joke that I invented ‘retina’ before Apple did :043: (I used to run a 32" Dell scaled down to 1920 x1200 (native res was much higher). It was buttery smooth and way before Retina screens were out :003:

1 Like

No idea. At some point I’ll do a research on it because I’ll be investing in a very strong home lab (1-3 years from now) which will start with a single rack server and it’s likely going to have like 512GB RAM and 200+ TB disk space. :003:

And when I’m working on that machine I don’t want to look at grainy graphics! But I’m worried that configuring Linux up correctly for such a setup is going to be a legendary pain.

Hope I’m wrong!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why do you upgrade so early? I typically wait for at least three months, until initial possible issues are ironed out, and the knowledge base is accumulated. Also, I was never particularly compelled to upgrade to the newest version, since in my impression the changes were mostly not important for my flow (admittedly, 99% of the time I’m using only a handful of apps - editor, terminal, browser, mail client, and slack).

I was so lazy about these updates that I completely skipped some versions, such as El Capitan :smiley:

Never had any problems myself, but I always do a TM backup before both upgrades and OS updates. It’s super convenient, and I feel more relaxed with this safety net.

3 Likes